The Ahrar Center for Detainee‚Äôs Studies and Human Rights has reported that, following the recent release of two female detainees, the number of female detainees held by Israel currently stands at 18.Ahrar said Israel recently released ‚ÄėAlaa Abu Zeitoun, from Nablus, and Reem Hamarsha from Jenin.
Head of the Ahrar Center Fuad al-Khoffash said that, similar to male detainees, the detained women are facing very difficult conditions, while many of them have been denied the right to family visits.
One of them, Mona Qa‚Äôdan, has been denied her right to family visits since the Israeli army kidnapped her in 2012.
The female detainees currently held by Israel are, Lina al-Jarbouni, Donia Wakid, Fida‚Äô Sheebani, Fida‚Äôs Suleiman, Dima Sawahra (16 years of age), We‚Äôam ‚ÄėAseeda, Falasteen Najm, Hiba Abu Jaja, Thorayya Taha, Mona Qa‚Äôdan, Nawal Sa‚Äôadi, Nahil Abu ‚ÄėAisha, Rasmiyya Balawna, Shireen al-‚ÄėEesawy (currently in solitary confinement), En‚Äôam Qolumbo, Samaher Suleiman and Boshra Tawil.
Ahrar said the detainees are facing constant harassment, and sent to court in unfit vehicles, causing them several health conditions.
There are approximately 7000 Palestinians who are currently held by Israel in 17 prisons and detention camps. Among the detained, Palestinians are 75 Palestinians who have been kidnapped after being released under the Shalit Prisoner Swap Agreement.
30 detainees have been imprisoned since before the First Oslo Agreement of 1993; the longest serving detainee is Karim Younis, who has been imprisoned since at least 32 years.
They were supposed to be released back in late March, but Israel violated its own vows to release them under the fourth and final phase of releasing all veteran detainees.
Information on Palestinian political prisoners held by Israel:
1. 477 detainees are serving life terms.
2. 17 female detainees are currently imprisoned; the longest serving of them is Lina Jarbouni who was taken prisoner more than 12 years ago.
3. 250 Palestinian children are still imprisoned by Israel.
4. 500 detainees are currently held under Administrative Detention orders without charges or trial.
5. Six elected former government ministers are still imprisoned by Israel.
6. 36 elected legislators are still imprisoned by Israel.
7. 1500 detainees suffer with various illnesses, and serious conditions, including cancer, heart conditions, and liver diseases, and paralysis. Fourteen of them permanently staying at the Ramla Prison Clinic that lacks basic supplies.
8. 205 detainees died in Israeli prisons since 1967, due to torture, medical neglect, and due to being shot and killed by the arresting officers or while in prison.
9. Dozens of detainees died shortly after their release due to diseases they contracted in prison, and were not provided the needed medical attention. http://www.imemc.org/article/69127
Neglect and Disregard for Life in Israeli Prisons
Rearrested Shalit Swap Detainees Announce Hunger Strike
Ferwana: ‚Äú266,500 Gazans Kidnapped By The Army Since 1967‚ÄĚ