Listen to the audio from the MP3 Player on the right column. || Click here to Download MP3 file 5.0MB|| time: 5m29s


Palestine Today, a service of the International Middle East Media Centre  for Tuesday October 3rd, 2006.

One Palestinian was killed and his brother was seriously injured after the Israeli air force shelled a blacksmith workshop in Khan Younis, while in the West Bank the army continues to erect checkpoints and invade cities.  These stories and more coming up stay tuned.

The Gaza Update

Palestinian medical sources in the city of Khan Younis, in the southern part of the Gaza Strip, reported that one Palestinian was killed and his brother was seriously injured after the Israeli air force shelled a blacksmith workshop in the Khan Younis refugee camp Tuesday at dawn.

Resident Naji Khaled Al Bardaweel, 23, died from his wounds at Khan Younis hospital, while his brother Mohammad suffered moderate injuries. Palestinian security sources reported that soldiers targeted the workshop of Naji Al Jabri, causing the building to collapse and damaging the homes surrounding it. The shelling also caused a power blackout in several areas in Khan Younis.
Local sources reported that an anonymous caller identifying himself as an Israeli military spokesperson informed the owner of the workshop that the army intends to shell it and to evacuate immediately. However, the residents were unable to get out in time because the shelling took place shortly after the phone call. 
The Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, Fatah’s armed wing, threatened to kill Hamas officials for the first time since the fighting broke out between the two Palestinian political parties.  The group handed out leaflets Tuesday morning saying they would kill Khalid Mishaal, the Syrian-based Hamas political chief, Said Siyam, the Palestinian interior minister and Yusuf al-Zahar, head of Hamas’ militia. 
In a statement to Reuters, the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade told of their plan to kill Hamas leaders and concluded with, “and we will execute this ruling so those filthy people can be made an example.”  No one knows whether the statements represent the entire group of Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades or particular factions.
Late at night Monday two Palestinians were killed and at least 15 were injured, three seriously, during clashes between Fatah gunmen and members of Hamas’ Executive Force. The clashes took place in Rafah, in the southern part of the Gaza Strip, during a procession organized by Fatah supporters against the internal clashes.  Local sources reported that the marchers were fired at during the procession which inflamed a renewed gun battle.
Meanwhile, the Executive Force reported that Fatah gunmen fired at one of its outposts in Rafah, and they fired back, which later on expanded the clashes to several parts of the Gaza Strip.
The West Bank Update
The chaotic situation in the Palestinian Authority continues as a result of the financial crisis in the Palestinian territories.  Unknown gunmen set two local buses on fire in the West Bank city of Nablus Tuesday afternoon, local sources reported. One of the buses was a school bus, and the other was for public transportation. Both were completely destroyed by the fire. No one was injured because the buses were empty when attacked. 
Earlier in Nablus, unknown gunmen set fire to a cultural center in the southern part of the city after intense clashes between Hamas and Fatah supporters.  Seven residents were wounded, three of them critically.

The Israeli army installed several flying checkpoints south of the West Bank city of Hebron, Tuesday morning. Soldiers and Israeli police officers stopped civilian traffic, checked IDs and searched vehicles.

Meanwhile, Israeli forces invaded the village of Al Bak'a near the West Bank city of Tubass and abused the residents Tuesday morning. Troops attacked residents’ homes, searched and ransacked them after forcing families  to remain standing outside for several hours, eyewitnesses reported. The sources added that soldiers used sound bombs and shot live rounds randomly at houses.  No one was injured or arrested. 

Moreover, Israeli troops invaded the West Bank city of Jenin, its refugee camp and nearby villages Tuesday morning.  Soldiers fired sound bombs and live rounds at residents' homes in Jenin city. Army jeeps  blocked and closed down the main  streets leading in and out of the city, causing serious traffic congestion.

The army also invaded the village of Romana, searched homes searched and ransacked them, local residents reported.  In Zababidah village, south of Jenin, soldiers stormed the area and fired live rounds and sound bombs into the air.  No arrests were made.  After two hours, Israeli troops installed a checkpoint at the northern entrance to the village and left. 

The Israeli army installed several military checkpoints around the village of Tamon near the West Bank city of Tubass Tuesday. Soldiers stopped and searched passing traffic and checked ID cards in hopes of finding the people wanted on their lists, local sources reported.


Thank you for joining us from Occupied Bethlehem. You have been listening to Palestine Today from the International Middle East Media Centre, brought to you by Caysha Cay & Ghassan Bannoura.