For the first time in a week, the fifth Hamas-Fatah ceasefire saw no violations Sunday, a spokesman says.
Abdel Hakim Awad, Fatah’s spokesman in Gaza told reporters that the Egyptian-mediated fifth ceasefire between his group and the rival Hamas, reached on Saturday night, is so far holding.

Hamas and Fatah have reached four failed ceasefires over the past week, which has seen the death of 50 people, including 22 of Hamas as well as other bystanders.

Awad’s statements came following a meeting between representatives of both groups after they put off fighting and exchanged release of 30 abductees, according to sources at the Egyptian embassy.

“The Sunday meeting in the Egyptian embassy in Gaza city discussed means to reinforce the current ceasefire on the ground”, maintained Awad.

Since last Sunday, the rival parties have been involved in a severe infighting, the deadliest in two months, after they had established a coalition government early in March.

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail