The Israeli Radio reported on Tuesday that the suicide bomber, who carried the Bir Sheva bombing three weeks ago, was identified as Abdul-Hakim Qaisiyya, 20, from Al Thaheriyya village, near the West Bank city of Hebron.

The family of Qaisiyya was officially notified by the Israeli authorities that their son is the bomber after conducting genetic tests based on samples taken from the family and from the remains of the bomber.

A member of the family reported that soldiers arrested all of its members and conducted the needed tests before releasing them, except one of his brothers.

After the bombing was carried out, some sources reported that the bomber was Ayman Za’qeeq, from Beit Ummar village near Hebron. The Al Aqsa Brigades, the military wing of Fateh, and Al Quds brigades, the military wing of the Islamic Jihad said that the bomber was Za’qeeq.

The family of Za’qeeq and the Israeli security services denies these reports since Za’qeeq is a political detainee who is still detained in an Israeli detention facility.

Suicide bombing in Be’er Sheva, two security guards injured       

Saed Bannoura – IMEMC & Agencies – Sunday, 28 August 2005

An Israeli security source reported that two security guards were injured in Be’er Sheva on Sunday morning after a bomber detonated explosives outside the central bus station when he was spotted by two security guards.  50 other Israelis were reportedly treated for shock.

The bombing took place at approximately 8:30 on Sunday morning.


One of the wounded guards is a 26-year-old Bedouin identified as Lu’ay Abu Jum’a, while the other was identified as Pavel Srotzkin.

“The bus was slightly damaged as a result of the quick response of the security guards,” a police source said. “They approached the bomber and averted a bigger disaster” since the bomber was unable to board one of the busses at the station.

Nissim Horesh, the driver of the bus, said that the bomber approached the bus and asked him if the bus was heading to the hospital.

“I suspected him, he was carrying a heavy backpack, and a plastic bag in his hands,” the driver said.  “I directed the attention of the security guards to him.  One of them came and maintained direct eye contact with him and called the other guard.  Then the blast took place.”

Yaron Barel, a paramedic who was the first to arrive on the scene, said that he found two security guards who “prevented a disaster with their bodies.”

The wounded guards were transferred to Soroka Medical Center, in Be’er Sheva.  Soroka director Eitan Hai-Am reported that the two guards were seriously injured. “Their bodies were filled with shrapnel,” Hai-Am said. 

Meanwhile, David Baker, Sharon’s office spokesperson, blamed the Palestinian Authority for what he described as “failing to take steps to prevent terrorist attacks.”

“Israel has taken the necessary procedures to advance peace,” Baker said, “The P.A did not take action in order to prevent such attacks.”

Large numbers of Israeli police and security forces was dispatched to the scene of the blast.  They set up roadblocks and sealed the entrances and exits of Be’er Sheva.

The police suspect that a vehicle escaped the scene of the blast after it took place, possibly carrying “the accomplices of the bomber.” 

One Palestinian was reportedly arrested.  Israeli security claims he transferred the bomber.  Dozens of Palestinian workers in Israel were also detained.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas condemned the bombing, describing it as a terrorist attack.

Abbas released an official statement condemning the attack and slammed Israel for its recent military attacks in the West Bank, which killed five Palestinians, including three children, in Tulkarem.

“We are committed to the truce, in spite of the Israeli violations and continuous attacks,” Abbas said, “The latest attacked carried out by Israel left five residents killed in Tulkarem, including three children.” 

Khaled Al Batsh, one of the Islamic Jihad leaders in Gaza, said that the movement does not know who carried out the attack, but added that such an attack “is a natural reaction to the crimes carried out by the occupation.”

The Israeli security believes that the bomber is from the Hebron area, in the southern West Bank.

Meanwhile, Israeli Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz, said that the West Bank became the main location of attacks against Israeli targets,

Mofaz added that the P.A should increase its efforts to counter further attacks expected to be carried out by fighters in the West Bank.