Professor Shlomo Mor-Yosef, director of Hadassah Ein Karem Hospital in Jerusalem, said on Thursday evening, that Sharon will remain under sedation at least for additional 48 hours.

The statements of Mor-Yosef came some 24 hours after the Israeli Prime Minister suffered an extensive stroke and massive brain hemorrhage.
"This process is lengthy", he said, and when asked when Sharon could be expected to regain consciousness, he stated that "it will not be within the coming 48 hours, it will be at least 48 hours after Sharon emergences from surgery".
He added that examination revealed that Sharon pupils are responding to stimulation.
Dr. Avi Cohen, the head of the Department of Neurosurgery at Be’er Sheva’s Soroka hospital, said that the fact Sharon’s pupils are reacting properly is an "encouraging sign".
"The fact that Sharon’s pupils are responding well indicates that his brainstem is intact," Cohen said, and added that "Hemorrhage on the right side of the brain may cause harm to the left side of Sharon’s body".
Sharon to be on respirator, deep sedation at least 24 hours
Saed Bannoura-IMEMC & Agencies, 17:33
Hadassah Ein Karem University Hospital director, Dr. Shlomo Mor-Yosef, said on Thursday that the Israeli Prime Minister, Ariel Sharon, will remain under heavy sedation at least for additional 24 more hours, and continues to be in serious – but stable – condition. 
Sharon underwent eight hours of surgery as neurosurgeons were attempting to stabilize his condition and stop the new bleeding which was detected in his brain.
"Sharon is still in a serious, but stable condition", Mor-Yosef stated, "All the parameters are as expected following this type of surgery, part of the treatment of the Prime Minister is to preserve low pressure in the skull".
Earlier on Thursday, Sharon had been given a CT scan following six hours of surgery; the scan revealed additional areas of bleeding in the brain, which caused Sharon’s admittance to the operating room, once again, for further surgery.
Sharon suffered a massive stroke on Wednesday and underwent prolonged surgery overnight to stop widespread bleeding in the brain.
"All vital signs are functional and stable, but he is still in a critical condition, the CT scan revealed that the bleeding in his brain had been stopped", Mor-Yosef reported, He was moved following the surgery to the intensive care unit.
"I came here first to update you and second to stop the rumors that are flooding the country", he added, "I assure you that every change in the Sharon’s condition will be announced in a statement by Hadassah".
After surgery; Sharon in serious condition, vital signs in order       
Saed Bannoura-IMEMC & Agencies – Thursday, 05 January 2006, 10:54
On Thursday morning, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon emerged from surgery with vital signs showing proper levels, yet his general condition remained very serious, said Prof. Shlomo Mor-Yosef, director of Hadassah University Hospital, Ein Karem, in Jerusalem.
The surgery on Sharon started at 11:30 p.m. Wednesday and continued throughout the night in an effort to drain the blood from the brain and seal off the blood vessels.
He was reportedly taken out of the operation room at 4:45 a.m. and taken for tests. Sharon was quickly taken back into the room to stop additional hemorrhages.
Neurosurgeons had fought, during the several hours’ surgery, to stabilize Sharon’s condition and stop new bleeding detected in his brain.
He was rushed to hospital on Wednesday at night after suffering what was described as "far-reaching" stroke and massive brain hemorrhage.
Israeli TV Channel 2 said on Wednesday at night that Sharon was suffering from paralysis in his lower body.
The Israeli Ynetnews website reported that Sharon’s brain hemorrhage was stopped and he was taken to the intensive care unit.
The Ynetnews quoted a senior Hospital official saying that even in the most optimistic scenario; Sharon is expected to stay at the intensive care unit for a long time and later move on to a lengthy rehabilitation period.
Also, Israeli online daily, Haaretz, reported that at around 5:30 A.M. Thursday, Sharon’s physician, Professor Bolek Goldman, left the hospital accompanied by Cabinet Secretary Yisrael Maimon and the prime minister’s political advisor, Erez Halfon.
Goldman had said Wednesday night that he expected Sharon "to emerge from surgery safely".
Haaretz quoted Prof. Mor-Yosef saying that they are still additional areas in Sharon’s condition that must be treated. "Sharon is currently sedated and depending on a respirator, he is in a grave condition", he added.
Sharon is also receiving medication to counter the bleeding, and the drugs he is receiving would take several hours to have the needed effect.
On the political level, Sharon’s ministerial authority was transferred to the Israeli acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, who called for an emergency cabinet meeting at 9 A.M on Thursday.
The cabinet convened for an emergency meeting at 9 A.M, the cabinet meeting was attended by the Kadima and Likud minister whose resignation was postponed. 
Olmert told the cabinet that the government will carry on running the country and "pray for good news from the hospital".
During the meeting, Sharon’s chair at the center of the long oval table remained empty.
Israeli Justice Minister, Tzipi Livni, told reporters following the short cabinet meeting, that "the message the cabinet is sending is that the government is functioning".
Livni added that she will do everything in her power to help the acting Prime Minister "reach the right decisions". 
Meanwhile, Israeli radio reported, on Thursday morning, that Likud Party Chairman Benjamin Netanyahu decided, on Thursday morning, to postpone the resignation of his Likud ministers from government in light of the poor health of Sharon.
Close aides to Netanyahu said that he decided to support the interim PM Ehud Olmert and remain in the government.