Qatar’s 6 point initiative to form a Palestinian national unity
government, according to ‘Al Hayat’ in London. The two Hamas leaders,
Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh and Mash’al, produced a written document
outlining a new five point initiative to solve the disagreements
between Hamas and Fatah.
‘Al Hayat’ reprinted the document, which was given to Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Hamad Bin Jasmin Al Thani, Wednesday. See below:
1. An acceptance of the international resolutions
2. An acceptance of the agreements signed between the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) and Israel
3. An acceptance of the two-state solution, in accordance with the vision of the US president Bush
4. Renouncing terror by both Israel and Hamas
5. Authorisation of Palestinian President Abbas to negotiate with Israel for two years, in accordance with the above mentioned points
Sheikh Al-Thani added to the document that the international boycott of the Hamas-led government and the Palestinian people must be stopped.
Hamas leaders from Damascus and Gaza met for a second time and came up with three more points, which they then gave to Al-Thani. The three points are listed below:
1.The formation of a government based on the national reconciliation, or prisoners', document
2.The presidency and the PLO will start negotiations for two years in accordance with the following:
• Respect international law and the UN resolutions and guarantee the Palestinian rights
• Respect the agreements signed by the Palestinian Authority (PA) and the PLO and guarantee the Palestinian rights and interests
• Confirm the Palestinian right to struggle to liberate their land and end the occupation in legitimate ways
• Adhere to the results of the above mentioned items after presenting it to the Palestinian Legislative Council (PLC) for approval
• Recognise the national government and lift the siege after its formation and release the prisoners and detainees
3. The aim based on the above mentioned items is to establish a Palestinian state on the 1967 lands in order to achieve a comprehensive peace in the region
A source told ‘Al-Hayat’ that the Qatari government is currently considering Hamas’ new position and regards it as a genuine effort to resolve the primary disagreements between all parties involved.
Sourced from Maan News Agency