Click on Link to download or play MP3 file || 3 m 0s || 2.75 MB || Welcome to Palestine Today, a service of the International Middle East Media Centre,, for Monday May 12th 2008.

A Palestinian dies in Gaza due to earlier wounds, and in the West Bank, the Israeli army injures one civilian. These stories and more coming up, stay tuned.

The News cast

Early on Monday morning, the Al-quds brigades, the armed wing of Islamic Jihad, fired two homemade shells onto the Israeli town of Ashkelon, about 12 kilometers away from the Gaza Strip

Israeli media sources reported on Monday that two homemade shells landed in Ashkelon, hitting the city’s park, causing slight damages to some buildings, and wounding one woman.

In the meantime, Palestinian medical sources announced that 25-year old Mo’taz Abu Anza died today of wounds he had sustained earlier during an Israeli army invasion into the town of Khuza’a, in the southern Gaza Strip.

The death of Abu Anza brings the death toll of Palestinians who were killed last week by the Israeli army in Khuza’a to 7. These developments come shortly before the visit of Omar Suleiman, chief of Egyptian intelligence, to Israel on Monday.

Suleiman is expected to submit last month’s Egyptian-mediated ceasefire offer to Israeli officials. The Gaza resistance factions agreed to the offer last week in Cairo.

Today in the West Bank, thee Israeli army injured one Palestinian civilian and kidnapped two others during several attacks targeting the district of Hebron.

Shareif Al Tuorah, 15, was injured by a rubber-coated steal bullet during clashes that took place in the village of Tafouh, near Hebron city. Troops invaded the village and searched homes before the clashes took place.

Meanwhile, Khamiss Hassan and Hassan Al Sharef were kidnapped by the army on Monday at dawn, when the Israeli army attacked the Al Arop refugee camp located near Hebron.

Witnesses said that Israeli soldiers and army jeeps stormed the refugee camp, and clashes took place between local youth and attacking troops. During the clashes, soldiers kidnapped Hassan and Al Sharef and left the area. House to house searches were also reported on Monday in the old part of Hebron city and the nearby Sourif village. No army kidnappings were reported there.

Similar attacks by the Israeli army were also reported in the cities of Jenin, Ramallah and Bethlehem, and an additional three civilians were kidnapped by the army during those attacks.


Thank you for joining us from occupied Bethlehem. You have been listening to Palestine Today, from the International Middle East Media Center, This report has been brought to you by Aaron Lakoff and Ghassan Bannoura.