Israeli Prime Minister, Ehud Olmert, stated on Wednesday that Israel is committed to its part in implementing the cease-fire deal in the Gaza Strip, but also warned that this deal is fragile and may not last. The deal is slated to take effect on Thursday at 6 A.M. The statements of Olmert came shortly after Israel officially announced it had agreed to the ceasefire deal which was proposed and mediated by Egypt.
Olmert said that while Israel will implement its part of the deal, the army will remain ready to retaliate should Palestinian armed groups fire homemade shells from Gaza into Israel.
He added that Hamas is in charge of the Gaza Strip and it is responsible for everything that is happening there.
Olmert also said that the release of the captured Israeli soldier, Gilad Shalit, is a natural condition of the cease-fire deal.
Earlier on Wednesday, Israeli government spokesperson, Mark Regev, said that Israel intends to ease the siege on Gaza as long as the truce is implemented without violations.
He added that talks on the release of Shalit would intensify and that Israel would ease the blockade next week.