Israeli sources reported that two policemen were seriously wounded in a shooting attack that took place on Saturday at dawn in the Old City of Jerusalem, the Arabs48 news website reported.

The sources stated that one of the wounded is a policeman who was shot in the head and the other is a border guard policeman who was shot in his chest. Both were moved to Hadassah Ein Karem Hospital in Jerusalem.

Initial reports stated that the attack was carried by one assailant who managed to escape the scene unharmed. Other sources in Israel said that the attack was carried out by more than one gunman. Two Israeli guards returned fire at the source of fire but there was no confirmation that the attacker was wounded.

After the attack, the Israeli police surrounded the area and detained a large number of Palestinians who were taken for questioning.   

Meanwhile, Hamas movement stated that the success of attacks in Jerusalem reflect what the movement described as the” fragile security system of the occupation”.

Fawzi Barhoum, media spokesperson of Hamas, said that the occupation must understand that more pressure against the Palestinians, more annexation of their land and more attempts to void their identity will only lead to more support to resistance as the means of liberation.

In Israel, Israeli Internal Security Minister, Avi Dichter, said on Saturday that the recent attacks in Jerusalem cannot be considered as a new Intifada in the occupied territories.   

Dichter stated that the security forces will arrest the shooter or shooters who carried out the recent attack.

He added that the two wounded policemen are a Jew and a Bedouin who were on duty during the time of the attack.  


Two Israeli troops were shot in Jerusalem

Saturday July 12, 2008 11:17author by Rula Shahwan – IMEMC News

Local sources reported that 2 Israeli troops were shot on Saturday at dawn near the Asbat Gate in Jerusalem. one was drastically wounded and one moderately so.

Eye witnesses reported that anonymous gun men opened fire from al Rahme Cemetery nearby.

Local sources also reported that the Israeli army announced the area a closed zone and kidnapped some of the Palestinians to detention camps for questioning.