Click on Link to download or play MP3 file || 3 m 00s || 2.75 MB ||
Welcome to Palestine Today, a service of the International Middle East Media Centre, www.imemc.org, for Tuesday, January 19th, 2010.
Israeli troops level a Palestinian owned house in the West Bank and open fire at residents’ homes in the Gaza Strip. These stories and more, coming up, stay tuned.
The News Cast
Israeli tanks opened fire on Tuesday midday at residents’ homes located in the southern Gaza Strip city of Rafah. Local sources reported that tanks stationed at the southern Israeli-Gaza boarders shelled homes located in the eastern part of Rafah city. A number of homes sustained damage, but no injuries were reported. Witnesses said that the shelling caused panic among the residents.
Eight Palestinians, among them one child, were reported dead last week in the Gaza Strip because of the continued Israeli siege and attacks. Israel placed Gaza under total siege in June 2007.
In the West Bank ten Palestinian civilians were kidnapped on Tuesday by Israeli troops during separate pre-dawn invasions targeting a number of communities. Palestinian sources reported incursions into the city of Hebron, southern West Bank, in addition to Ramallah city, central West Bank, and Nablus in the north.
The Israeli military announced that all ten men were taken to military detention camps for questioning. The army added that the men detained are on what it calls its ‘Wanted List.’ Seventeen Palestinian civilians from different West Bank communities were kidnapped on Monday by Israeli troops under the same clams.
Last week the Israeli military conducted at least 23 military incursions into Palestinian communities in the West Bank. During those attacks troops kidnapped 28 civilians, including 9 children.
In other news, a Palestinian owned house was leveled on Tuesday midday by Israeli’s military. The home was located at the village of Jaba’ near the central West Bank city of Ramallah.
Hassan Al Ka’abnaeh, the owner of the house, told local media that troops stormed the village then surrounded his home. He added that troops detained him and his son until the bulldozers finished demolishing the house.
Troops allowed only the women to take some of the family belongings out before they leveled the house. The Israeli military claims the structure was built without the needed permission. Al Ka’abnaeh told reporters that he never received any pre warning from the military before they demolished his house today.
Thank you for joining us from occupied Bethlehem, you have been listening to Palestine Today from the International Middle East Media Center, www.imemc.org. This report has been brought to you by Ghassan Bannoura.