The Israeli army claimed responsibility for assassinating a Palestinian man from Gaza, while Israel’s Internal Security Agency claimed that the man was a member of the Army of Islam group. A senior army officials hinted that the United States approved the attack.The extra judicial killing took place on Wednesday, and led to the death of Mohammad Namnam, 27; four Palestinians were wounded. Initial reports stated that Namnam was killed by missile fire from an unmanned drone, the stance that is being circulated by the Hamas run Interior Ministry, yet Israeli daily Haaretz has reported the possibility that a bomb planted in his vehicle.

Some Palestinian sources have reported to Haaretz that the car that Namnam was travelling in, at the time of his death, had been part of a group of cars recently imported from Israel, and that the explosives had already been placed in his car.

The Israeli security issued a brief statement claiming Namnam is a senior leader of the Army Of Islam, and that he was involved in several attacks and bombings against Israeli military targets, in addition to planning further attacks against Israeli and American targets in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula, Israeli daily, Haaretz, reported.

The assassination took place near Arafat Police Station, west of Gaza City; Namnam was killed and four Palestinians were injured.

Namnam is believed to be the assistant of a senior fighter identified as Momtaz Daghmash from al-Shaty’s Refugee Camp. Daghmash is believed to be a senior member of the Army of Islam.

Furthermore, the Israeli Army confirmed that the assassination was cleared in advance with the United States.

A senior official of the Israel army said that although he can’t get into details, the attack was cleared with Washington in advance, and that the United States and Israel have a very good military and security cooperation, Israeli daily, Haaretz, reported.

The Army Of Islam was one of three groups that kidnapped Israeli corporal Gilad Shalit after attacking a military base near the Gaza border on June 26, 2006. Two soldiers and two fighters were killed in the attack.