Egyptian Foreign Minister, Mohammad Kamel, stated in a press conference with U.S. Secretary of State, Hilary Clinton, in Cairo, that the ceasefire between Israel and the resistance in Gaza started on 9 at night Wednesday. Clinton thanked Egypt’s President Mohammad Morsi for his role.Clinton said that the new Egyptian leadership plays a very important role in the region, and added that Egypt, along with the U.S Administration, will ensure that guarantees will be reached to “ensure Israel’s security”, and the full implementation of the deal.
The Egyptian Intelligence said that it held talks with the Palestinian factions, and informed them that the ceasefire agreement was reached and singed.
Maan News Agency reported that the Egyptian Intelligence will inform the Palestinian factions in Gaza on the details of the ceasefire agreement.
Mousa Abu Marzouq, deputy head of Hamas Political Bureau Chief, Khaled Mashal, stated on his Facebook page that the ceasefire deal declared by Egypt includes the following main points;
1. Israel will stop all military attacks and assassinations in the Gaza Strip, will not attack Gaza by air, land, or sea.
2. All armed groups in Gaza will stop the firing of shells into Israel, and will stop all border attacks..
3. Israel will open all crossings and will ease the movement of residents and goods. and will not impose restrictions on the residents starting 24 hours after the agreement takes effect.
4. Other issues will be discussed when and if they emerge.
5. Easing restrictions on fishermen in Gaza.
Izzat Al-Riziq, member of the Political Bureau of the Hamas movement, stated on his Facebook page that Egypt received guarantees from all related parties regarding respecting this agreement.
He added that both sides of the conflict will refrain from conducting any acts that violates the ceasefire agreement, and should any issue emerge; the parties should contact Egypt in this regard.
Egypt confirmed that this agreement includes an Israeli commitment to halt invasions and targeted assassinations, in addition to easing restrictions on border terminals.
Meanwhile, an Israeli official stated that the agreement is about calm on both sides, and does not include lifting the siege on Gaza.
The ceasefire comes after the Israeli army killed approximately 162 Palestinians, mainly children and women, and injured more than a 1000 residents in the eight day of conflict.