Israeli night raid (archive image)

During the nightly invasion of various parts of the West Bank on Thursday, Israeli forces abducted a number of Palestinians who were asleep in bed, and re-arrested one man who had served 18 years. The Israeli authorities played a cruel trick on the man by releasing him, letting him walk out the prison gates where his fiance was waiting to have their wedding ceremony after 18 years of waiting, then re-arresting him just outside the gate.

The Israeli occupation forces re-arrested the prisoner Randi Issa Adel Odeh (39 years), at the moment of his release, from the gate of the desert Negev detention center.

The captive, Odeh, from Shuafat, was first abducted on 7/3/2002, and the Occupation Court in Jerusalem had sentenced him to 18 years in prison.

His long-waiting fiance, Alaa Abu Dawoud from Nablus, had planned their wedding for today, Thursday. But just as he reached the prison gates to his freedom, the authorities grabbed him and threw him back in prison for “investigation” without any charges. His 18-year term had ended, he was not charged with any new crime (nor could he have committed any, having been behind bars for so long), but the Israeli authorities decided to put him back behind bars with no charges.

Also today, Israeli forces detained this morning 11 Palestinians, including former prisoners, from several areas in the occupied West Bank, said the Palestinian Prisoner’s Society (PPS).

Israeli soldiers detained seven former prisoners from areas in Hebron, one recently released after serving 18 years in prison for resisting the occupation and another released last year after serving 17 years in prison.

Israeli forces abducted two young men from Jenin Governorate. The Palestinian Wafa News Agency reported that the occupation forces arrested the two young men, Sayyid Ibrahim al-Sayyid from Jenin, and Muhammad Imran Sabah from the town of Burqin, after they raided the homes of their families.

In addition, one Palestinian was abducted from Burin in the Nablus district and one from Faraa refugee camp in Tubas.