Gaza Strip Hebron Human Interest Human rights Israeli attacks Israeli Settlement Nablus Palestine Qalqilia Ramallah West Bank
United Nations Office of Humanitarian Affairs
Protection of Civilians Report | 31 March – 13 April 2020
Summary of report
- Twelve Palestinians were injured in clashes with Israeli forces across the West Bank. Eight of the injuries were treated due to tear gas inhalation, two were shot with live ammunition, and two were physically assaulted.
- Another six Palestinians were injured during clashes with Israeli forces patrolling Burin village (Nablus), and during the weekly demonstrations against settlement expansion and access restrictions in Kufur Qaddoum (Qalqilia).
- Israeli forces carried out 53 search and arrest operations across the West Bank and arrested 45 Palestinians.
- On at least 56 occasions, Israeli forces opened fire in the areas adjacent to Israel’s perimeter fence and off the coast of Gaza, while enforcing access restrictions. As a result, three Palestinian fishermen were injured, and a fishing boat was damaged.
- On five occasions, Israeli forces entered Gaza and carried out land-levelling and excavation operations near the perimeter fence, in both the southern and northern areas.
- In Area C of the West Bank, 18 Palestinian-owned structures were demolished, seized or dismantled citing the lack of building permits, and 1,200 trees were uprooted on grounds they were planted on ‘state land’.
- Of particular concern is the ongoing demolition of water and hygiene-related structures, which have the potential to undermine efforts to contain the spread of the virus.
- During the reporting period, the Israeli authorities requisitioned two mobile latrines and damaged two water tanks in the herding community of At Taybe (Hebron), and demolished three water cisterns in Kafr Ni’ma village (Ramallah). During the latter incident, Israeli forces also uprooted about 1,200 trees, on grounds that the land was declared ‘state land’.
- Eight Palestinians were injured and extensive property, including more than 670 trees, was vandalized by assailants believed to be Israeli settlers. The injuries occurred in three incidents: in the Israeli-controlled H2 area of Hebron city, where two men were pepper-sprayed; near Kobar village (Ramallah), where three farmers, while working their land, were beaten by settlers with rifles and in a settlement of East Jerusalem, three Palestinian workers were physically assaulted, one was stabbed and severely injured.
- Four more incidents involved the uprooting or vandalizing of over 670 olive saplings and trees in At Tuwani (Hebron), Turmus’ayya (Ramallah) and Al Khader (Bethlehem). Since the beginning of the year around 1,450 trees belonging to farmers from Al Khader village have been vandalized.
- Illegal settlers stormed the outskirts of Qusra (Nablus) and Al Mazra’a al Qibliya (Ramallah) villages and vandalized property.
- Since the beginning of March, the weekly average of settler attacks resulting in 9 Palestinian injuries or damage to their property, increased by 80% compared with an average of 5 during January-February.
Read the full report here.
Image: Days of Palestine