Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
During the reporting period, PCHR documented 129 violations of the international human rights law and international humanitarian law (IHL) by Israeli forces and settlers in the occupied Palestinian territory.
Under the Israeli violations of the right to life and bodily integrity, Israeli forces killed a Palestinian civilian and wounded 88others, including 27 children and 9 paramedics, including 4 female paramedics in the Gaza Strip at the 76thÂ Great March of Return. Â On 29 September 2019, Palestinian prisoner Samer al-âArabid, was transferred to Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem due to the serious deterioration of his health condition while being interrogated by the Israeli Security Agency (Shin Bet) in the Moscovia Prison in occupied Jerusalem.
As part of the Israeli incursions and house raids,Â Israel carried out 76 incursions into the West Bank, including occupied East Jerusalem, and raided civilian houses, attacking and enticing fear among residents in addition to shooting in many incidents. As a result, 55 Palestinians were arrested, including a child and 2 women.
In the Gaza Strip,Â the Israeli forces carried out 6 naval attacks against Palestinian fishermen at sea within the allowed fishing area; also, 1 shooting incident was documented in an agricultural land east of Khan Younis.
the settlement expansion activities in the West Bank, including occupied East Jerusalem,Â continued this week as PCHR fieldworkers documented the storming of al-Aqsa Mosque grounds by large settler groups.
In terms of the Israeli closure policy,Â the Gaza Strip still suffers the worst closure in the History of the Israeli occupation in the oPt as it has entered the 14th consecutive year, without any improvement to the movement of persons and goods and ongoing isolation of the Gaza Strip from the West Bank and the rest of the world. Meanwhile, the West Bank is divided into separate cantons with key roads blocked by the Israeli occupation since the Second Intifada and with temporary and permanent checkpoints, where civiliansâ movement is restricted and others are arrested.
During the reporting period, Israeli forces imposed a full-scale closure on the West Bank and the Gaza Strip for the Jewish New Year. The closure lasted from 00:00 on Sunday 29 September 2019 until early Wednesday 02 October 2019. On Monday 30 September 2019 and Tuesday 01 October 2019, Israeli forces shut Erez (Beit Hanoun) Crossing completely.
- Violation of the right to life and to bodily integrity
- Excessive Use of Force against the Great March of Return in the Gaza Strip
The 76thÂ Great March of Return took off in eastern Gaza Strip on Friday, 27 September 2019, titled âal-Aqsa Intifada and Palestinian Prisoners.â The Israeli attacks resulted in the killing of 1 civilian and the injury of 88 civilians, including 27 children, 9 paramedic including 4 females.
The incidents wereÂ as follows:
- Northern Gaza Strip: At approximately 16:00 on Friday, 27 September 2019, hundreds of civilians marched towards the central tent of the Great March of Return (GMR) in Abu Safiyah area, northeast of Jabalia, north of the Gaza Strip. Israeli forces stationed behind sand berms and in military vehicles along the border fence, fired live and rubber bullets as well as teargas canisters at a number of protesters, who threw stones at them.Â As a result, 22 civilians injured, including 10 children and 2 paramedics: 8, including 2 children, were shot with live bullets and their shrapnel; 7, including 2 children, were shot with rubber bullets; and 7 were hit with tear gas canisters, including 6 children.Â The wounded civilians were transferred via ambulances belonging to the Ministry of Health and Union of Health Work CommitteesÂ (UHWC) to the Indonesian and al-Awda Hospitals and their injuries were classified between minor and moderate. The injured paramedics were identified asÂ âAtef Mohammed âAli al-âArbid (48), a Civil Defense paramedic who was shot with a rubber bullet to the face, causing a fracture to the upper jaw; andÂ Mohammed Husni âAbdulatif al-Haw (23),Â a Military Medical Services paramedic, who was shot with a rubber bullet to the left hand and treated in the medical point.Â Meanwhile, the injured persons with disabilities were identified asÂ SaberÂ âAli âAbdel Qader al-Ashqar (37),Â a double amputee who was shot with a rubber bullet in the left arm; andÂ Mohammed Nabil âAbdullah al-Zaharnah (24),Â a deaf man who was shot with a live bullet to the abdomen.
- Gaza City:Â at approximately 17:00 on Friday, hundreds of civilians marched in eastern Malakah area, east of Gaza City. Speeches, theatrical performances and other segments were performed at the protest central encampment. Dozens of protestors approached the fence and threw stones with slingshots at Israeli soldiers. The activities continued until 18:30 on the same day. Despite the peaceful nature of the demonstrations, Israeli forces directly stationed along the border fence fired live and rubber bullets and tear gas canisters at the participants. As a result,Â 12 civilians injured, including 4 children: 6 wereÂ shot with live bullets, 4 were shot with rubber bullets and 2 were directly hit with tear gas canisters.
- Central Gaza Strip:Â at approximately 15:00, hundreds of civilians, including women, children and families, took part in the eastern Bureij refugee camp protests; tens of them gathered adjacent to the border fence at a range varying between 3 â 70 meters. A number of protestors approached the fence, raised the Palestinian flags, set tires on fire and threw stones with slingshots at Israeli soldiers. The Israeli soldiers, reinforced with several military SUVs, fired live and rubber bullets in addition to teargas canisters at them.Â As a result, 16 civilians were wounded, including 2 children: 11 were shot with live bullets and their shrapnel, 5 was shot with rubber bullets and tear gas canisters. The wounded civilians were transferred to al-Aqsa Hospital in Deir al-Balah and their wounds were classified between minor and moderate.
- Khan Younis:Â Â The gathering witnessed lively speeches, performances, and national songs organized in the area while dozens of protestors approached the border fence and threw stones, fireworks and Molotov Cocktails at Israeli military vehicles. Israeli forces fired live and rubber bullets and tear gas canisters at protesters,Â wounding 21 civilians, including 4 children and 7 paramedics; 3 of them were female paramedics. Seven of those wounded were hit with rubber bullets and 14 were directly hit with tear gas canisters,Â noting that only 12 injuries were referred to hospitals while others received treatment in field due to their minor injuries. The wounded paramedics were identified as:Â Saleh Khaled Ahmed al-Haj (21),Â who was hit with a teargas canister in the left eye;Â Mohammed Akram Safi (19), who was hit with a teargas canister in the back;Â Kamal Jawad al-Shahri (24), who was hit with a rubber bullet in the back;Â Farhmah Walid al-NajjarÂ (35), who was hit with a teargas canisterÂ in the hand;Â Ibtisam Mohammed Abu Louli (22), from Rafah and was hit with a teargas canister in the back;Â Shorouq Saâid Abu Reidah (21), who was hit with a teargas canister in the foot; andÂ Naser Hisham Mousa (22), who was hit with a rubber bullet to the right hand
- Rafah: Hundreds participated in the eastern Shokah protests, where folklore songs and speeches were held. Dozens approached the border fence and threw stones and Molotov Cocktails at the shielded Israeli soldiers, who responded with live and rubber bullets and teargas canisters. As a result,Â Saher âAwadallah Jaber âOthman (20) declared dead in al-Shifa hospital after sustaining serious wounds due to being shot with a bullet in the chest at approximately 17:45.Â Further, 17 civilians were injured, including 7 children and a female paramedic; 4 of them deemed in a serious condition : 15 were shot with live bullets and their shrapnel; 1 with a rubber bullet and 1 with a tear gas canister. The female paramedic was identified asÂ Sabrin Jaber âAbdel Rahim Qeshtah (28),Â a member of âAbdullah Life Pulse Team and was hit with a bullet in the upper extremities and the abdomen.Â Freelance journalistÂ Ramadan Ibrahim Khalil al-Sharif (30)Â was shot with a live bullet that settled in his flak jacket. Meanwhile, those seriously wounded were identified asÂ âAbdul Halim Saâid al-âAbadlah (20),Â who was hit with a bullet to the lower extremities;Â Mahmoud Yousif Abu âAzoum (14)Â who was hit with a bullet in the lower extremities and a third one, still unidentified, with a bullet to the neck; andÂ Sami âAwni Abu Jazar (18)Â was shot with a live bullet to the chest.
- Excessive use of force in the West Bank:
- At approximately 17:00 on Tuesday, 01 October 2019, Israeli forces attacked Palestinian participants, who protested in front of Hadassah Hospital, east of occupied East Jerusalem, in solidarity with prisoner Samer Mina Salim al-âArbid, who is in a serious health condition for few days after investigation with him in the Israeli prisons. Eyewitnesses said that Israeli forces chased the participants near Hadassah Hospital and heavily beat them to prevent them from protesting and chanting for favor of prisoner Samer. Eyewitnesses added that Israeli forces confiscated a banner with the Samerâs photos, stopped young men before the end of the protest, checked their ID cards and then arrested Somoud Nasser Abu Khdair (25), heavily beaten her while taking her to a police vehicle. Israeli forces also arrested Nidal âAboud (27), who sustained bruises after they beat him and dragged on the floor.
It should be noted that the participants called for the Israeli authorities to release al-âArabid, who was arrested on 26 September 2019, from his work in al-Birah. Al-âArabid was tortured during investigation with him by the Israeli Security Agency (Shin Bet) with the ratification of the Israeli Ministry of Justice. As a result, al-âArabid fainted and suffered kidney failure that threatens his life. The participants stressed that al-âArabid urgently needs a serious medical treatment and called for bringing all the inspectors who tortured him to trial.
- Shooting and other violations of the right to life and bodily integrity
- At approximately 05:30 on Thursday, 26 September 2019, Israeli gunboats stationed off al-Sudaniyah shore, west of Jabalia in northern Gaza Strip, heavily opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats sailing within 4 nautical miles and chased them. As a result, the fishermen were forced to flee fearing for their lives; neither casualties nor material damage was reported.
- At approximately 17:30 on the same Tuesday, dozens of Palestinian young women and girls organized a protest from Salah Eden Street and headed into Sultan Suleiman Street in occupied East Jerusalem condemning violence against women in the Palestinian society. The protestors chanted slogans against violence and Israeli occupation. They also raised banners demanding to apply laws that guarantee protection for women in addition to photos of Palestinian female prisoners in the Israeli prisons and called for supporting them. When a woman, who was present near Bab al-âAmoud Gate (Damascus Gate), raised the Palestinian flag, Israeli soldiers attacked her in addition to a number of participants and then forced them to leave the area. Neither casualties nor arrests were reported.
- At approximately 03:20 on Friday, 27 September 2019, Israeli forces backed by 12 military SUVs moved into Ramallah and stationed in al-Tirah neighborhood in the southern side of the city. dozens of Palestinian young men gathered in the neighborhood and threw stones and empty bottles at Israeli forces, who responded with tear gas canisters at them and toward houses. As a result, a number of civilians fainted and vomited and were treated on the spot. Israeli soldiers also firedÂ live bullets at a vehicle belonging to Palestine TV, causing material damage in the vehicle; no casualties were reported. Meanwhile, another Israeli force moved into al-Masayef neighborhood. They raided and searched 2 houses after which they arrested Ihsan Saâad Eshtiyah (50) and Abdul Razeq Hasan Farraj (62). Farraj served 15 years in the Israeli prison on separate periods.
- At the end of Friday prayer on 27 September 2019, dozens of Palestinian organized a peaceful protest in a-Sawahrah eastern village, east of occupied East Jerusalem against settlements outposts established on Palestinian lands in al-Dabbah area, adjacent to al-Montar Mount, east of occupied East Jerusalem. The participants attempted to approach the outpost, but Israeli forces forcibly dispersed them by firing tear gas canisters at them. As a result, tens of participants suffered tear gas inhalation. Younis Jaâfar, Head of al-Sawahrah village Council said to PCHRâs fieldworker that dozens of worshipers from al-Sawahrah, al-âIzariyah and Abu Dese village, performed the Friday prayer at al-Montar lands in East Jerusalem in solidarity with the area residents after the settlement outpost was established upon calls by the PalestinianÂ Anti-ApartheidÂ Wall Committee and Jerusalem Governorates. The protestors raised the Palestinian flags in a tour in Jerusalem City. Few days ago, Israeli forced dismantled the âRight and Dignityâ Tent established by the PalestinianÂ Anti-ApartheidÂ Wall and al-Sawahrah village residents near the settlement outpost on 15 September 2019, and established mobile houses âcaravansâ and water tanks.
- At approximately 06:50 on Saturday, 28 September 2019, Israeli gunboats stationed in northwest of Beit Lahia in northern Gaza Strip, opened fire and chased Palestinian fishing boats sailing within 3 nautical miles. As a result, the fishermen were forced to flee fearing for their lives; no casualties were reported.
- At approximately 09:30 on Sunday, 29 September 2019, Israeli gunboats stationed in northwest of Beit Lahia in northern Gaza Strip, opened fire and chased Palestinian fishing boats sailing within 3 nautical miles. As a result, fishermen were forced to flee fearing for their lives; no casualties were reported.
- At approximately 07:25 on Monday, 30 September 2019, Israeli gunboats stationed off al-Sudaniyah shore, west of Jabalia in northern Gaza Strip, opened fire at and chased Palestinian fishing boats sailing within 4 nautical miles. As a result, the fishermen were forced to flee fearing for their lives; no casualties were reported.
- At approximately 10:50, on Tuesday, 01 October 2019, Israeli gunboats stationed in northwest of Beit Lahia in northern Gaza Strip, heavily opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats sailing within 3 nautical miles and chased them. As a result, fishermen were forced to flee fearing for their lives; neither casualties nor material damage was reported.
- At approximately 07:45 on Wednesday, 02 October 2019, Israeli gunboats stationed in northwest of Beit Lahia in northern Gaza Strip, opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats sailing within 3 nautical miles and chased them. As a result, fishermen were forced to flee fearing for their lives; neither casualties nor material damage was reported.
- At approximately 17:00 on the same day, Israeli forces stationed along the border fence opened fire at agricultural lands in eastern al-Qararah village, northeast of Khan Younis. The shooting continued for few minutes; no casualties were reported.
Full document available at the official website of the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR).
Search IMEMC: “PCHR”