Click on Link to download or play MP3 file || 3.66MB || Time 4m 0sWelcome to Palestine Today, a service of the International Middle East Media Centre,, for Wednesday April 11th, 2007.

In the Gaza strip a Palestinian Authority security officer died on Wednesday while the Israeli army invades the West Bank city of Nablus twice, those stories and more coming up, stay tuned.

The Gaza strip update

One Palestinian Authority security officer died on Wednesday morning of wounds he sustained on Tuesday evening in Khan Younis city, in the southern part of the Gaza strip. Tahssen Al Ghalian, a preventative security forces officer was pronounced dead this morning, after suffering critical wounds in the chest, which he sustained late Tuesday evening, medical sources reported.

Palestinian sources stated that Al Ghalian was injured when unknown gunmen opened fire at him near his house, located on the eastern side of Khan Younis city. The gunmen fled the scene shortly after injuring Al Ghalian, eyewitnesses reported. Also on Wednesday morning, a group of unknown gunmen attacked and set a charitable society headquarters on fire in Beit Hannoun town, in the northern part of the Gaza strip.

The headquarters of the Al Ata’a society was totally damaged; Al Ata’a society is a charitable organization that provides medical and financial help to families that are victims of Israeli invasion in the town.

The West Bank update

On Wednesday at dawn, the Israeli army invaded the city of Nablus attacked and searched residents homes then abducted seven civilians. A massive Israeli force along with two bulldozers stormed the down town area, soldiers opened fire randomly at residents homes, eyewitnesses reported. Troops attacked and searched a number of homes after forcing the residents out; the Israeli army left the city after several hours, only to go back into the city five hours later.

During the second invasion into the West Bank city of Nablus on Wednesday, midday, troops and jeeps entered the down town area of the city, and soldiers opened fire randomly at residents. Clashes erupted between the invading forces and local youth that were using stones to throw at the army; no injuries have been reported so far.

In the latest update, Israeli forces surrounded a building in the city center on Wednesday afternoon. Soldiers using loudspeakers spoke to resistance fighters which the army claims are inside the building, to turn themselves in. Eyewitnesses stated that only women and children are inside the building. Israeli troops also did not allow journalists near the building, the witnesses added.

Elsewhere, Israeli forces attacked and searched homes in several parts of the southern West Bank city of Hebron and kidnapped four civilians, including two Palestinian Authority officials, on Wednesday morning. Nizar Shihada, 39, Director of the Palestinian Ministry of Education in Hebron, was kidnapped by Israeli troops who broke into, searched and ransacked his house. Shihada was then taken to an unknown detention camp.

Also in Hebron city, another Israeli force surrounded and searched the house of Abd Al Qader Idrees, justice at the Religious Court. Eyewitnesses reported that soldiers searched and ransacked Idrees’ house then took him to an unknown location.The Israeli army kidnapped another two Shepard’s, while herding their sheep in nearby Yatta village farmlands, south of Hebron.

The Israeli troops also abducted four civilians; two near the central west Bank city of Ramallah and another two were abducted during invasions into several parts of the southern West Bank city of Bethlehem.


Thank you for joining us from occupied Bethlehem. You have been listening to Palestine Today from the International Middle East Media Center,, brought to you by Jane Smith and Ghassan Bannoura.