An Israeli military source reported that one settler was killed, another injured, after Palestinian gunmen opened fire at their vehicle traveling south of Hebron, on Friday.
Al Quds Brigades, military wing of the Islamic Jihad, and the Al Aqsa Brigades, the military wing of Fateh, claimed responsibility for the shooting attack; the settler, 30, died of his wounds at an Israeli hospital in Jerusalem.
The two groups said that the attack was carried out in retaliation to the assassinations carried by Israel.
He was shot in his head, while two female hitchhikers traveling with him suffered from shock, army source reported.
Israeli online daily, Ynetnews reported, that an initial investigation revealed that the gunmen were traveling in a vehicle, and opened fire at an Israeli car traveling on Highway 60 in the West Bank around 12:30 p.m, and managed to flee the scene.
After the shooting, Knesset Member Uri Ariel (National Union) held Sharon directly responsible for the attack “because he allowed the entry of armed Palestinians into the area”.
Also, Mount Hebron local council head Tzviki Bar-Hai, said that Sharon and Mofaz should “fight terrorism instead of attempting to engage in dialogue with the Palestinians”.
Last month, two young settler-women and a boy were killed in a shooting attack at a hitch-hiking post in the Gush Etzion junction, near Hebron.