After an extensive investigation, the Palestinian Centre for Human
Rights found that the Israeli army intentionally killed two Palestinian
civilians at military checkpoints inside the West Bank city of Nablus.

The report, released Tuesday, states that within 24 hours Israeli
forces killed two Palestinians and continue to contravene international
law. The PCHR report is published in full below. 


"Investigations Conducted by PCHR Indicate that the army Willfully Killed 2 Palestinian Civilians at Military Checkpoints in Nablus.

Israeli forces positioned at military checkpoints in Nablus killed two Palestinian civilians in less than 24 hours in two separate crimes. These latest crimes prove that the army disregard for the lives of Palestinian civilians. PCHR condemns these crimes and asserts that the failure of the international community, particularly the High Contracting Parties to the Geneva Convention Relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War of 1949 to hold Israel accountable for crimes committed against Palestinian civilians serves to encourage the army to commit more of such crimes.

According to investigations conducted by PCHR, at approximately 15:20 on Sunday, 8 October 2006, a number of Palestinian civilians were getting out of a car in al-Sateh area, nearly one kilometer away from Til village, southwest of Nablus.

Doldiers in a military jeep, positioned on the bypass road located to the south of Nablus, opened fire at the car. As a result, Amjad Mohammed Mustafa al-Teerawi, 23, from Balata refugee camp east of Nablus, was killed by a live bullet to the head; and Ahmed Hazzaa’ Ramadan, 21, from Til village, was wounded by a live bullet to the shoulder.

Less than 24 hours later, soldiers positioned at Hawara checkpoint, south of Nablus, committed a similar crime, when they shot dead a Palestinian civilian while attempting to cross the checkpoint. Soldiers claimed that the soldiers foiled an attempt by a young Palestinian man to stab a solider.

In his testimony to PCHR, Hani Nayef Rawajba, 32, an eyewitness, from Roujib village east of Nablus, stated:

'At approximately 14:30 on Monday, 9 October 2006, I was in a debate with the officer of Hawara checkpoint as a soldier took and held my identity card. While we were in the debate, I saw an a soldier soldiers searching a Palestinian taxi. There was a box containing toy pistols in the taxi. One of the soldiers, who were searching the taxi, called the officer to see the box. Soon, I saw a 20-year-old Palestinian, wearing a red shirt and black trousers walking towards the taxi that was being searched. He was only 10 meters away from the taxi. The soldier who was searching the taxi fired a live bullet at the young man. The young man kneeled and I did not know whether he was wounded. Without asking the soldier about what happened, the officer joined the soldier in firing at the young man. They shot him dead with 3 live bullets. Troops prevented Palestinian civilians from offering him any help. Soon, an ambulance of Palestine Red Crescent Society arrived at the area. The driver was in the ambulance alone, I and other civilians attempted to help him to carry the young man’s body into the ambulance, but soldiers prevented of us and two of them put him on a stretcher. The driver then pushed the stretcher into the ambulance. I asked the driver about the victim’s identity, and he told me that his name is Mohammed Waleed Mustafa Sa’ada, from Til village near Nablus.'

PCHR strongly condemns these latest crimes, and:

1. Asserts that the policy of killing practiced by the army against Palestinian civilians serves to increase tension in the area and threatens the lives of civilians.

2. Expresses utmost concerns for the safety of Palestinian civilians in light of the escalation in the use of force by the troops against them.

3. Calls upon the international community, particularly the High Contracting Parties to the Fourth Geneva Convention, to immediately and effectively intervene to provide protection for Palestinian civilians."

Sourced from PNN