Palestinian medical sources in Jenin reported that two residents was
killed on Tuesday at noon, in Qabatia town near the West Bank city of
Jenin. Earlier on Tuesday, one youth was shot and killed by Israeli
military fire in the town.

The sources stated that residents Hani Khaleel Al Samady 17, and Iz Ed Deen Ikmel, 15, were shot and killed on Tuesday noon by the Israeli army during a military offensive that started in the village late on Monday night.

Local sources in the village reported that both were killed when soldiers opened fire at them during the invasion. Medical sources said that Iz Ed Deen died after sustaining a fatal wound in the cervix, while Iz Ed Deen was hit by a round of live ammunition in his throat.

He was shot while he was standing in front of his house when soldiers who topped several houses in the town fired in several directions.

Also, clashes erupted between the soldiers and resistance fighters in the town after the army invading its center. The invasion was described as a the widest since last year. At least ten residents were injured and suffered moderate-to-sever injuries; most of the injured are children.

Soldiers stamped papers on several houses in preparation to demolish them which raised fears among the residents of a wider invasion to level these houses and conduct collective punishment against the residents.

Palestinian youth killed as Israeli army invades Jenin     
George Rishmawi-IMEMC & Agencies – Tuesday, 17 October 2006, 09:30

One Palestinian was killed, another injured as a large force of the Israeli army invaded the town of Qabatia, near the West Bank city of Jenin, Tuesday morning.

Palestinian medical sources identified the dead as Omar Abdul-Raouf Zakarneh, 18, and said he was killed by a shell not bullets.  His body was severely dismembered, the source added.

The Islamic Jihad movement said Zakarneh is a member of Al-Auds brigade, the armed wing of the Islamic Jihad and was killed as Israeli troops exchanged fire with resistance fighters who tried to force the soldiers out of the town.

Another Palestinian was wounded in the clashes with the soldiers, but his name was not revealed.

During the invasion, troops forcefully occupied some houses and turned them into military posts, and seized several residents from the village and took them to an unknown destination.

Meanwhile, the Israeli air force fired missiles at northern Gaza Strip late Monday, hours after a home-made Qassam shell landed near the southern town of Sderot.  The Israeli army said its air strike was aimed to stop the launching of Qassams from the Gaza Strip.

Earlier in the day, resistance fighters in the Gaza Strip had fired at least two Qassams, one of which landed next to a home in the town of Sderot, lightly wounding a woman in the leg.