Israeli online daily, Haaretz, reported on Monday that the partial report prepared by the government appointed commission to probe the Second Lebanon War accused the Israeli Prime Minister, Ehud Olmert, of sever failure in his judgment, responsibility and caution during the outset of the War. The commission headed by the retired judge Eliyahu Winograd released a press release on Monday evening stating that Olmert “acted hastily in leading Israel into the war” which started on July 12 last year.
The report also accused Olmert of not having a comprehensive plan for the war.
Meanwhile, Israeli cabinet secretary, Israel Maimon, said after the report was released that Olmert is not considering resignation.
Olmert was also slammed for not consulting with military or non-military experts, and for rushing the outset of the war.
“Olmert hastily decided to start the war despite the fact that he had no detailed plan, and he didn’t even ask for one”, the report reads, “He made this decision without systematic consultations, despite the fact that he has no external political military affairs”.
The report also accused Olmert for failing to adapt his plan when he knew that the assumptions and expectations of the Israeli actions were not realistic”, Haaretz reported.
Olmert was also accused of failing to exercise judgment, responsibility and caution, Haaretz added.
The Commission also slammed the Israeli Defense Minister, Amir Peretz, for not being aware of the state of the army, and stated that Peretz did not have good knowledge “on the basic principles of using military force to achieve political goals”, Haaretz added.
The commission report also stated that Peretz “impaired Israel’s ability to respond in a good way to its challenges”.
The report also criticized, Dan Halutz, who was the Israeli Army Chief of Staff during the war, and stated that Halutz “entered the war unprepared”, and that he failed to inform the government on the condition of the army before the ground offensive was carried out.
Moreover, Judge Winograd said that the outcome would have been better to Israel had Olmert, Halutz and Peretz acted differently, Haaretz reported.
Judge Winograd also stated that Halutz bears more blame since he knows that both Olmert and Peretz have no military experience, and that he reacted impulsively to the abduction of the two Israeli soldiers by Hezbollah.
Winograd also said that the “objectives set for this war were unattainable”, and that the leadership lacked creativity, Haaretz said.
Moreover, the committee criticized the whole government since the cabinet voted to go to war without understanding the implications this decision.
The final report of the Commission, which will be ready in the summer, is likely to include recommendations.