As dozens of Palestinians marched in Hebron, in the southern part of the occupied West Bank, marking the 20th anniversary of the Ibrahimi Mosque massacre, and demanding Israel to open Shuhada Street, closed since then, Israeli soldiers violently attacked them, injuring 15, while dozens suffered the effects of tear gas inhalation.The Palestinian News & Info Agency (WAFA) has reported that the soldiers also kidnapped five Palestinians, including Badee’ Dweik, member of a nonviolent group known as the Youth Coalition Against Settlements.

Thousands of Palestinians participated in the nonviolent protest, marching and chanting for the liberation of Palestine, the release of all political prisoners and the removal of Israel’s illegitimate settlements in occupied Palestine.

They also chanted slogans against the ongoing Israeli crimes and violations against the Palestinian people, their lands, property and holy sites in different parts of occupied Palestine.

Coordinator of the Popular Committee against the Wall and Settlements in Yatta, Rateb Jabour, said that the soldiers kidnapped five Palestinians, and violently assaulted peace activist Siham Abu Arram, 40, beating her on various parts of her body causing various cuts and bruises.

Jabour said that the protesters marched in commemoration of the Ibrahimi Mosque Massacre in 1994, and to demand the army reopen Shuhada Street, a major road closed by the Israel since then.

As the protesters marched from a local mosque in the area towards the eastern entrance of Shuhada Street, the soldiers started firing concussion grenades and gas bombs at them, causing dozens of residents to suffer the effects of tear gas inhalation.

Palestinian Legislator, secretary-general of the Palestinian National Initiative, Dr. Mustafa Barghouthi, and Hebron Governor Kamil Hmeid participated in the protest.

The soldiers chased the protesters into the Bab az-Zawiya neighborhood, and fired rubber-coated metal bullets at them, wounding at least 13 Palestinians.

On February 25 1994, an American-born fanatic Israeli physician, a settler identified as Baruch Kopel Goldstein infiltrated the Ibrahimi Mosque in Hebron, during dawn prayers, and fired dozens of rounds of live ammunition at the worshipers, killing 29 and wounding at least 150, before they managed to kill him.

At least 500 worshipers were praying in the mosque when Goldstein invaded it, firing at random, using his Israeli-issued automatic rifle.

Twenty-one Palestinians were killed by Israeli military fire, and dozens were injured during the funeral ceremonies of the slain Palestinians.

The massacre led to clashes in every part of the occupied West Bank, Gaza Strip and occupied East Jerusalem, leading to dozens of casualties among the Palestinians.