Leader of the Israeli Meretz Party, Zahava Gal-on, said Sunday that the current Israeli government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is not interested in peace.Gal-on stated, in an interview with Radio Israel, that the Netanyahu government must regain its senses and put the new Palestinian government to the test, to make sure that it is committed to conditions submitted by the Middle East Quartet.
Furthermore, Yitzhak Herzog of the Labour Party challenged Netanyahu to ‘initiate a comprehensive and courageous offer’ to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
According to the Middle East Monitor, a post on his Facebook page stated: ‘The situation is volatile and very sensitive and we must not take irreversible and potentially harmful steps.’
Gal-on also called on the current Israeli government to release the fourth batch of the Palestinian prisoners, as previously agreed, and to freeze settlement construction.
In a report about the Palestinian detainees held by Israel, the Palestinian Ministry Of Detainees said that more than 800,000 Palestinians, including children, have been kidnapped and imprisoned by Israel since 1967, while at least 5,000 Palestinians are currently held by Israel.
Plans for nearly 14,000 new settler homes were approved by the Israeli government, during the nine months of peace talks with the Palestinians, according to an Israeli NGO — this in addition to over 500 Palestinian structures that were demolished throughout the US-brokered ‘peace negotiations’.
“I believe we can replace the coalition of Netanyahu, Bennett, Liberman and Lapid: the modern variation of the four sons – wicked, wicked, wicked and the one who does not know how to quit,” Gal-on recently confided to a gathering of Meretz’s youth movement.