As Israeli military attacks continued across the Gaza Strip, 10 Palestinians were killed and many others injured on Wednesday in strikes on Gaza City and the Nuseirat refugee camp, according to sources at hospitals in the territory.
Nine Palestinians were killed and several others wounded when an Israeli drone struck the Municipal Police Directorate headquarters in Gaza City.
In a separate strike, Sobhi Sami Shahtout was killed after an Israeli aircraft targeted his motorcycle southwest of the Nuseirat refugee camp in central Gaza. Local sources said Shahtout was the fifth member of his family to be killed since October 2023.
The Israeli army also shot three Palestinians in Beit Lahia, in northern Gaza, and targeted several areas across the costal enclave.
Israeli bombings and attacks struck many areas across the Gaza Strip, including Khan Younis, in southern Gaza.
The Gaza Ministry of Interior and National Security described the attack as a “new brutal massacre” targeting officers and personnel of the civilian police force in the city.
The Israeli military said the strike targeted five individuals, including four members of Hamas’ armed wing, the Al-Qassam Brigades, and one member of the Popular Resistance Committees, alleging they were meeting at the police headquarters.
In a statement, the military said the results of the strike were still under review and claimed those targeted had operated from within the police facility in support of activities against Israeli forces in Gaza. It also said it had killed a local Al-Qassam commander approximately 30 minutes before the attack.
Hamas condemned the strike on the police headquarters, describing it as a “new Israeli war crime.” The movement said the attack killed nine Palestinians, most of them police officers and personnel, and wounded others.
Hamas accused the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of failing to uphold its commitments and obstructing the implementation of the “ceasefire” agreement.
The movement rejected Israeli military claims that resistance leaders had been targeted in the strike, describing the allegations as unfounded and intended to justify what it said was the deliberate targeting of civilian police personnel and unarmed civilians in the Gaza Strip.
Hamas said the timing of the attack, following recent contacts between mediators and guarantors and a meeting with U.S. Middle East envoy Jared Kushner, including a reported meeting with Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya, indicated an effort to undermine diplomatic initiatives and push the situation toward renewed escalation rather than continue implementing agreed arrangements and a proposed roadmap.
The movement said attacks on police institutions responsible for maintaining public order were aimed at creating instability and security disorder in the Gaza Strip. It linked the strike to what it described as broader Israeli efforts to undermine stability and create conditions that would facilitate displacement.
Hamas called on mediators and guarantors of the agreement, including the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump, to take what it described as a clear and firm position, halt Israeli violations and ensure adherence to previously agreed commitments.
Islamic Jihad also condemned the continuing Israeli attacks, saying they reflected Israel’s rejection of efforts to secure a ceasefire and its determination to continue the war against Palestinians. In a statement, the movement cited an Israeli strike on a café at Gaza’s seaport as evidence of continued escalation and the rejection of de-escalation efforts.
The group said Israeli military operations in the Gaza Strip, the occupied West Bank, southern Lebanon, and Syria’s Idlib province reflected a strategy of expanding regional tensions.
It warned that continued attacks could further destabilize the region and called for regional and international action to halt the escalation and hold those responsible accountable.
Medical sources in Gaza said 17 Palestinians had been killed in Israeli strikes across various parts of the territory since the previous day.
The Health Ministry in Gaza said hospitals across the Gaza Strip received seven bodies and 23 wounded people during the previous 24 hours.
According to the ministry, the death toll since the “ceasefire” began on October 11 has risen to 1,273, while 4,223 people have been injured.
The ministry added that 813 bodies have been recovered since the “ceasefire” took effect. It said the overall Palestinian death toll since October 7, 2023, had reached 73,407, with 174,335 people injured.