Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
This week, PCHR documented 148 violations of the international human rights law and international humanitarian law (IHL) by Israeli occupation forces (IOF) and settlers in the occupied Palestinian territory.
As part of the Israeli violations of the right to life and bodily integrity:
In terms of excessive use of force, IOF wounded 57 Palestinian civilians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.Â In the Gaza Strip, IOF wounded 49 civilians, including 23 children, 3 women, and 2 paramedics, including a woman, on the 83rdÂ Friday of the Great March of Return and Breaking the Siege protest (GMR). An employee at Jabalia Municipality was shot and injured after IOF opened fire at him while he was on duty at the border area. Meanwhile in the West Bank, 7 civilians were injured; 6 of them were injured near the annexation wall during their attempt to sneak into Israel for work.
Under IOF incursions and house raids,Â 94 incursions into the West Bank, including occupied East Jerusalem, were reported. Those incursions included raids of civilian houses and shootings, enticing fear among civilians, arresting and/or injuring many others. During this weekâs incursions, 58 Palestinians were arrested, including 4 children, 4 women (3 of them are journalists).Â On 06 December 2019, IOF arrested the crew of Palestine Satellite Channel during their morning show âGood Morning Jerusalemâ and arrested one of the guests, a former prisoner. IOF also arrested 2 civilians near the border fence in eastern Rafah and fired tear gas canisters at al-Najjar neighbourhood in Khuzaâah, east of Khan Younis, in the Gaza Strip.
Under the settlement expansion activities in the West Bank,Â PCHR documented 4 IOF violations that included demolishing 3 residential houses and razing a 200-square-meter land in Hebron, in addition to 27 dunums of Kafer Laqef village, east of Qalqiliyah to establish an industrial area to be annexed toÂ âKarnei ShomronâÂ settlement. Moreover, a civilian was forced to self-demolish his house in occupied Jerusalem.
PCHR also documented 2 settler-attacks against Palestinian civilians and their property, including stoning a vehicle in Nablus, and puncturing tires of 160 vehicles in Jerusalem, in addition to vandalization.
In terms of the Israeli closure policy,Â the Gaza Strip still suffers the worst closure in the History of the Israeli occupation of the oPt as it has entered the 14thÂ consecutive year, without any improvement to the movement of persons and goods, humanitarian conditions and bearing catastrophic consequences on all aspects of life. Furthermore, IOF uses Erez Crossing that is designated for movement of individuals as an ambush to arrest Palestinians who obtain permits to exit via Israel.Â Meanwhile, the West Bank is divided into separate cantons with key roads blocked by the Israeli occupation since the Second Intifada and with temporary and permanent checkpoints, where civilian movement is restricted and they are subject to arrest as 3 Palestinians were arrested this week only.
- Violation of the right to life and to bodily integrity
- Excessive Use of Force against Protests in the Gaza Strip
On the 83rdÂ Friday, 06 December 2019, weekly protests were launched in the 5 Great March of Return (GMR) encampments in eastern Gaza Strip. This Fridayâs protest titled: âGMR Will Continueâ, resulted in the injury of 49 civilians, including 23 children and 3 women, and 2 paramedics, including a woman.
The incidents were as follows:
- Northern Gaza Strip: demonstrations took part in eastern Jabalia. Some protesters threw stones at IOF stationed along the border fence. IOF shot and injured 14 civilians, including 5 children and 2 women: 2 with live bullets and shrapnel, 8 with rubber bullets and 4 were hit with tear gas canisters.
- Gaza City:Â hundreds took part in Malaka area in eastern Gaza City. IOF targeted them with teargas canisters and live and rubber bullets. As a result, 5 civilians were injured; 4 of them were hit with tear gas canisters, and one was shot with a rubber bullet in the head. Moreover, dozens of civilians suffocated due to teat gas inhalation.
- Central Gaza Strip:Â protests took part in eastern al-Buriej Camp.Â Hundreds gathered near the border fence and some attempted to throw stones at IOF, who fired live and rubber bullets and tear gas canisters in return. The shooting, which continued until 17:00 on the same day, caused the injury of 5 protestors, including 2 children and 2 women; 3 of them with rubber bullets, and 2 with tear gas canisters. Mai Suleiman Abdul Karim Abu Ruweidah (20), from al-Maghazi, who was directly hit with a tear gas canister in the right eye, was referred to the Eye Specialty Hospital in Gaza City. Maiâs right eye was removed after which she was referred to al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City.
Abu Ruweidah said to PCHRâs fieldworker that:
âAt approximately 15:30 on Friday, 06 December 2019, during my participation at the GMR protests, I was directly hit with a tear gas canister in my right eye. I was taken to the field hospital, which is about 1000 meters away from where I was. After receiving first aid, I was referred to al-Aqsa Hospital in Deir al-Balah. After that, I was referred to Eye Specialty Hospital in al-Nasser neighborhood, Gaza City, and then transferred to al-Shifa Hospital to for a CT scan. Later, I returned to theÂ Eye Specialty Hospital. At approximately 21:15, I had a surgery to remove my right eye. On Sunday, 08 December 2019, I was referred again to al-Shifa Hospital and I am still receiving medical treatment.â
- Khan Younis:Â Hundreds civilians joined todayâs protests in Khuzaâah area in eastern Khan Yunis.Â Most of the protesters stayed in the encampment for the activities while only dozens gathered near the border fence and attempted to throw stones and firecrackers. IOF fired live and rubber bullets and tear gas canisters at them in addition to firing skunk at them from water cannons. As a result, 8 civilians, including 5 children and 2 paramedics, were injured with rubber bullets and taken to hospitals. Moreover, many civilians sustained superficial rubber bullets wounds and suffocated due to tear gas inhalation. They received treatment on the spot. The wounded paramedic, Dalia Bassam Ahmed Abu Reidah (21), working within Watan Medical Team, was shot with a rubber bullet in her left hand while paramedic Mohammed Ziyad Zoghbor(35), a PRCS volunteer paramedic, was shot with a rubber bullet in the right shoulder. It should be noted that some Palestinian young men flocked to todayâs protests at 13:00 and were shot with live bullets and hit with tear gas canisters before the crowds headed to the area.Â As a result, a child was wounded with a rubber bullet.
- Rafah:Â hundreds of protestors gathered in eastern al-Shawka neighborhood while others remained at the protest encampment, where speeches and theatrical performances were performed. Dozens attempted to approach the fence and throw stones and burnt tires. IOF fired live and rubber bullets and tear gas canisters at protestors and pumped wastewater at them. As a result, 17 civilians, including 11 children, were injured: 2 shot with live bullets and shrapnel, 8 with rubber bullets and 7 were hit with tear gas canisters. Rajeh Mohammed al-Qadi (24) was shot with a rubber bullet to the head, causing fracture in his skull. He was admitted to the Gaza European Hospital in Khan Yunis for his serious condition.
- Shooting and other violations of the right to life and bodily integrity
- At approximately 15:00 on Friday, 06 December 2019, a number of Palestinian young men gathered and threw stones at IOF stationed along the security fence ofÂ âKarmi TsurâÂ settlement, adjacent to Beit Ummer village, north of Hebron. The soldiers chased the young men and fired live bullets and tear gas canisters at them. As a result, an 18-year-old civilian was shot with a live bullet in the abdomen. He was referred to al-Ahli Hospital in Hebron via an ambulance of Palestine Red crescent Society (PRCS) in a critical condition. Medical sources said that the wounded civilian had a surgery to remove his The live bullet also caused partial laceration in the wounded civilianâs liver.
- At approximately 15:00 on the same Friday, IOF stationed along the border fence, east of al-Shuhadaâa Cemetery, east of Jabalia, north of the Gaza Strip, opened fire at a truck affiliated with Jabalia Municipality. As a result, the truck was targeted with 4 live bullets and Mesleh Nidal âAbed Rabbuh (24), from Jabalia, was shot with a live bullet in the left arm. âAbed Rabbuh was taken to the GMR medical point at Abu Safia area, northeast of Jabalia. âAbed Rabbuhâs injury coincided with the start of GMR. He was referred to al-âAwda Hospital affiliated with theÂ Union of Health Work Committees. His injury was classified as moderate and he left the hospital at approximately 16:30 on the same day.
- At approximately 06:00 on Tuesday, 10 December 2019, IOF signed to guard the annexation wall opened fire at Saif Eyad Wajih al-âArdah (21), from âArabah village, southwest of Jenin, while attempting to sneak into Israel for work through Thuhor al-âAbed village lands, southwest of the city. As a result, he sustained a superficial wound in the right leg Al-âArdah was referred to Khalil Suleiman Hospital in Jenin for treatment.
- At approximately 07:20 on Tuesday, IOF stationed adjacent to the annexation wall near Nazlet âEssa village, north of Tulkarm, opened fire at a number of Palestinian workers, who attempted to sneak into Israel. As a result, 3 civilians, from Qifin village, north of the city, were injured and they were identified as:
- Namer âAdel Khasib (26), was shot with a live bullet in the left leg;
- Mohammed Tayseer âAmmar (28), was shot with a live bullet in the left leg; and
- Yusuf Ziyad Khasib (29), was shot with a live bullet in the foot.
- At approximately 07:30 on Wednesday, 11 December 2019, IOF signed to guard the annexation wall opened fire at Hazem Mohammed Mousa Lahlouh (30), from âAraba village, southwest of Jenin. As a result, he sustained a live bullet wound in the right foot while attempting to sneak into Israel, north of Tulkarm. Lahlouh as referred to Khalil Suleiman Hospital in Jenin for treatment.
- At approximately 08:00 on Wednesday morning, IOF signed to guard the annexation wall adjacent to Nazlet âEssa village, north of Tulkarm, opened fire at a number of Palestinian workers, attempting to enter Israel for work. As a result, âAlaâa Bassam Abu Baker (28), from Qifin village, north of the city, was shot with a live bullet in the right leg.
- At approximately 17:30 on Wednesday, 11 December 2019, Israeli soldiers stationed along the border fence, east of Khan Younis, southern Gaza Strip, fired a number of tear gas canisters at al-Najjar neighbourhood, east of Khuzaâah village, east of the city. As a result, many civilians suffocated due to tear gas inhalation.
Settlement Expansion and settler violence in the West Bank, including occupied East Jerusalem
- Demolition and Confiscation of Civilian Property for Settlement Expansion Activities
- At approximately 09:00 on Thursday, 05 December 2019, IOF backed by military construction vehicles moved into Hebronâs Moghayir al-âAbeed area, where they demolished 3 houses, under the pretext of non-licensing. These houses belong to:
- Shehada Salama Shehada Makhamrah: a 50-sqaure-meter house built of tin plates and bricks and sheltered 6 persons, including 3 children.
- Mosleh Shehada Salama Makhamrah: a 40-sqaure-meter house built of tin plates and bricks and sheltered 2 persons.
- Salah Shehada Salama Makhamrah: a 45-sqaure-meter house built of tin plates and bricks and sheltered 3 persons, including a girl.
- At approximately 16:00 on Sunday, 08 December 2019, IOF razed 27 dunums from Kafur Lqef villageâs lands, east of Qalqiliyia, to establish an industrial area and join it to âKarnei Shomronâ settlement. These dunums belong to the heirs of the deceased Mahmoud âOthman Qadoura and Saleh Ibrahim âAsaf. IOF claimed that these dunums are âState Landsâ and their owners stopped to challenge before courts. Nayif Jaber, Head of Village Council in Kafur Lqef Village, said to PCHRâs fieldworker that: âÂ On Sunday, 08 December 2019, we shocked when Israeli military construction vehicles moved into the village and demolished 27 dumums, under the pretext that their owners stopped to challenge before official bodies, noting that the owners submitted documents and challenge before official and legal bodies. The Israeli Civil Administration officer declared that these dumums would be joint to âKarnei Shomronâ settlement to establish an industrial area. The village residents and dumunsâ owners headed to their dunums and attempted to stop the demolition, but in vain. They bulldozed half of these dunums until now.â
- On Monday, 09 December 2019, âAli Jaâabees implemented the Israeli Municipality decision and self-demolished his 70-sqaure-meter house in al-Mokaber Mount area, southeast of occupied East Jerusalem, to avoid paying the demolition costs. Jaâabees said that the Israeli Municipality staff raided his house on Sunday, 08 December 2019, and gave him 3 days to implement the demolition, or they will do so, fine him and force him to pay the demolition costs. It should be noted that Jaâabeesâs house was built of wood 7 months ago; nonetheless, the Israeli Municipality issued a decision to demolish his house, tiles surrounding the house and retaining walls.
- At approximately 09:00 on Monday, IOF and Israeli Civil Administration officers backed by military construction vehicles moved into al-Qateâ area in Hebron. The soldiers were deployed between residentsâ houses and the military construction vehicles bulldozed Ahmed Bader Abu âAyish (55)âs 200sq.mÂ plot of land planted with olive trees and grapes, under the pretext of being âState Landsâ. It should be noted that Israeli authorities handed the landsâ owners notices to evacuate their lands a year ago.
- At approximately 10:00 on Tuesday, 10 December 2019, IOF and Israeli Civil Administration backed by military construction vehicles moved into Kherbit al-Sema in Samouâa village, south of Hebron. The Israeli Civil Administration officers notified al-Tahadi and al-Somoud School to stop construction. It should be noted that on 10/30/2019, Israeli authorities handed the school a notice to stop construction works under the pretext of non-licensing. The notice set a court hearing on 11 November 2019 to challenge the order.
- Israeli Settler Violence
- At approximately 11:30 on Thursday, 05 December 2019, Israeli settlers threw stones at Hasan Ahmed âAbadi (44)âs vehicle while driving on Jenin-Nablus Street, northwest of Nablus. As a result, the vehicleâs windshield was broken. âAbadi said to PCHRâs fieldworker that:Â âAt approximately 11:30 on Thursday, 05 December 2019, I was returning from Nablus to my house in Baqet al-Sharqiyia village. When I arrived at al-Masâodiyia intersection, branching from Nablus-Jenin Street, I found 8 masked settlers closing the street with boulders. I stopped 500 meters away and waited for 15 minutes until the settlers got into 2 vehicles and drove towards âShafi Shomronâ settlement, northwest of Nablus. I noticed that we were driving in the same direction. Suddenly, one of the settlersâ vehicles approached me and a settler threw a stone at my vehicleâs windshield and broke it. Meantime, a military vehicle carrying 2 Israeli officers arrived at the area and asked me what happened. I answered their questions, but they did not do anything. After that, an Israeli police officer came and asked me if I photographed the settlers, I told him no. He told me to head to the Palestinian Liaison office and submit a complaint. I went to the Palestinian Liaison office in Jenin and did so.â
- At approximately 02:30 on Monday, 09 December 2019, Israeli settlers, from âRamat Shlomoâ settlement, moved into Shoâfat village in occupied East Jerusalem. They punctured the tires of 160 vehicles and trucks parking on the village street and vandalized them with racist slurs, in addition to houses walls. Â The village residents said that surveillance cameras recordings fixed in their houses showed that 3 settlers moved into al-Dahra Street and damaged the residentsâ properties. The Israeli police and intelligence officers arrived at the area, photographed the vehicles, removed racist slurs, and took the affected personsâ testimonies.
Full document available at the official website for the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR).
Search IMEMC: “PCHR”