According to a statement by the Palestinian Prisoners Society (PPS), hunger-striking journalist and administrative prisoner, Muhammad Al-Qeeq, has lost his ability to speak and 60% of his hearing sense, 70 days into his hunger strike.Head of the Detainees and ex-Detainees Committee, Ashraf Abu Sneineh, on 25 January, said that the health of Al-Qeeq was deteriorating at a fast pace, saying that he lost conscious back then. Abu Sneineh also confirmed the need for immediate action to release him.
Last week as well, experts pointed out unprecedented fears that Al-Qeeq might pass away in such conditions.
Al-Qeeq, a journalist for the Saudi channel Al Majd, has also been diagnosed with excruciating pains all over his body.
On the 47th day of his hunger strike, he was fed by force, as he had rejected taking any vitamins or undergoing medical checks.
According to the Palestine Information Center, PPS said that the Israeli supreme court set a date for a hearing on February 4, at 3.30 p.m., to finalize its decision on his case.
Al-Qeeq was arrested on 21 November, 2015 when Israeli soldiers blew up the front door of his house and took him in for interrogation, at Israelâs Kishon (Jalame) detention center. And so, his hunger-strike, started on 24 November, 2015, came as a protest against administrative detention in Israeli prisons for six months, without any charge or hearing.
This detention period can also be renewed indefinitely, every six months.
Last Tuesday, PLO Executive Committee Member Dr. Hanan Ashrawi called on Israeli authorities to immediately and unconditionally release him. On Thursday as well, Palestinian Prime Minister Dr. Rami Hamdallah held the Israeli government responsible for his life.