The Palestinian Prisoners’ Society (PPS) has reported that a political prisoner from Bethlehem, started a hunger strike three days ago, protesting being held under the arbitrary Administrative Detention orders, without charges or trial. This brings the number of hunger-striking detainees in Israeli prisons to 18.
The PPS stated that the detainee, Ahmad Hamamra, from Beit Sahour city, east of Bethlehem, started an open-ended hunger strike three days ago, protesting his continued Administrative Detention.
The PPS added that Israel recently transferred Hamamra to solitary confinement in the Negev Detention Camp where most hunger-striking detainees are held.
It said that seventeen of the hunger-striking detainees are held under the Administrative Detention orders, and one, identified as Mohammad Nuwwara from the central West Bank city of Ramallah, is protesting his continued solitary confinement.
The PPS said detainee Salem Zeidat, from Bani Neim town near the southern West Bank city of Hebron, was the first to start the hunger strike 22 days ago.
It is worth mentioning that at least 40 detainees went on hunger strikes since the beginning of this year protesting their ongoing Administrative Detention.
There are 540 detainees, held in three Israeli prisons; Majeddo, the Negev, and Ofer, who remain imprisoned under the arbitrary Administrative Detention orders.
— More than an hour before this report was published, the PPS stated that, according to the family of detainee Husam Rib’ey from Hebron, their son has suspended the hunger strike after Israel decided to cancel the Administrative Detention order, to officially serve an indictment against him. —
The detainees are:
- Ahmad Hamamra, Beit Sahour, started the strike 3 days ago
- Salem Zeidat, Bani Neim – Hebron, started the strike 22 days ago.
- Mojahed Hamed, Silwad – Ramallah, started the strike 20 days ago.
- Mohammad Monir A’mar, Tulkarem, started the strike 20 days ago.
- Kayed Fasfous, Doura – Hebron, started the strike 20 days ago.
- Mahmoud Fasfous (Kayed’s brother), started the strike 20 days ago.
- Guevara Nammoura, Doura – Hebron, started the strike 19 days ago.
- Rafat Daraweesh, Doura – Hebron, started the strike 19 days ago.
- Maher Dalaysha, Ramallah, started the strike 14 days ago.
- Aladdin Ali, Ramallah, started the strike 13 days ago.
- Ahmad Abdul-Rahman Abu Sil, al-‘Arroub – Hebron, started 13 days ago.
- Mohammad Khaled Abu Sil, al-‘Arroub – Hebron, started 13 days ago.
- Fadi al-Amour, Hebron, started 13 days ago.
- Husam Rib’ey, Hebron, started 13 days ago.
- Ahamd Nazzal, Jenin, started 13 days ago.
- Miqdad al-Qawasma, Hebron, started 12 days ago.
- Yousef al-Amer, Jenin, started 5 days ago
- Mohammad Nuwwara, Ramallah, started 9 days ago.