Israeli violations of human rights in the occupied Palestinian territory¬†
29 August ‚Äď 04 September 2019
- Great March of Return in Eastern Gaza Strip:¬†1 Civilian killed and 93 others injured, including 33 children, a woman, 2 journalists, and a paramedic.
- West Bank:¬†4 civilians injured, including a child and a human rights defender.
- During 85 incursions into the West Bank:¬†91 civilians, including 8 children and 2 women, arrested
- A Palestinian forced to self-demolish his house in the occupied East Jerusalem, while an under-construction mosque, a well and 2 agricultural rooms demolished in eastern Hebron.
- 3 Israeli military orders to seize lands in eastern Bethlehem, and 3 attacks reported by settlers against Palestinian civilians and their property in the West Bank.
- 5 shooting incidents reported against Palestinian fishing boats off Gaza shores.
- 34 temporary checkpoints erupted in the West Bank, where 9 Palestinian civilians were arrested.
During the reporting period, PCHR documented 139 violations of the international human rights law and international humanitarian law (IHL) by Israeli forces and settlers in the occupied Palestinian territory.
As part of the Israeli violations of the right to life and bodily integrity,¬†Israeli forces killed a Palestinian civilian and injured 93 Palestinian civilians, including 33 children, a woman, 2 journalists, and a paramedic, were injured at the Great March of Return in the Gaza Strip.¬† Meanwhile, 4 were injured in the West Bank, including a child and a human rights defender.
As part of the Israeli incursions and house raids,¬†Israel carried out 85 incursions into the West Bank, including occupied East Jerusalem, and raided civilian houses, attacking and enticing fear among residents in addition to shooting in many incidents. As a result, 91 Palestinians were arrested, including 8 children and 2 women.¬† In the Gaza Strip, the Israeli forces carried out one limited incursion into the central Gaza Strip, and arrested 4 Palestinians who tried to infiltrate via the border fence.
Under the settlement expansion activities in the West Bank and occupied East Jerusalem,¬†PCHR documented 7 violations, including forcing a civilian to self-demolish his house in Silwan village in Jerusalem under the pretext of non-licensing, and demolishing an udner-construction mosque, a water well and 2 agricultural rooms in Khelet al-Baqar in eastern Hebron.¬† Further, the Israeli forces issued 3 military orders to seize lands in eastern Bethlehem.¬† The settlers also carried out 3 attacks against Palestinian civilians and their property in the West Bank.
During the reporting period, the Israeli naval forces continued their attacks against the Palestinian fishermen and their equipment at sea though sailing within the allowed fishing area.¬† This week witnessed 5 shooting and chasing incidents against the fishermen and their boats.
In terms of the Israeli closure policy, it should be highlighted that Israel continues its closure of the Gaza Strip for the 14th consecutive year, severely restricting the freedom of movement of persons and goods and isolating the Gaza Strip from the West Bank and the rest of the world. Meanwhile, the West Bank is divided into separate cantons with key roads blocked by the Israeli occupation and with temporary and permanent checkpoints, where civilians movement is restricted and others are arrested.
- Violation of the right to life and to bodily integrity
- Excessive Use of Force against the Great March of Return in the Gaza Strip
The 72th¬†Great March of Return took off in eastern Gaza Strip on Friday, 30 August 2019, titled In Commemoration of Our Martyrs.‚ÄĚ As a result of the Israeli use of excessive force,¬†a man was killed and 93 civilians injured, including 33 children, a woman, 2 journalists and a paramedic.
The incidents were as follows:
- Northern Gaza Strip: At approximately 16:30 on Friday, 30 August 2019, hundreds of civilians marched towards the central tent of the Great March of Return (GMR) in Abu Safiyah area, northeast of Jabalia, north of the Gaza Strip. The protest involved activities such as national songs of the Palestinian heritage, speeches by political leaders in addition to raising the Palestinian flag. At approximately 17:00, Israeli forces stationed behind sand berms and in military vehicles along the border fence, fired live and rubber bullets as well as teargas canisters at the protesters. As a result, 29 of them were injured, including 13 children and a photojournalist: 20, including 6 children, were shot with live bullets and their shrapnel; 5, including 4 children, were hit with rubber bullets; and 4, including 3 children, were hit with tear gas canisters, including 2 children. The wounded photojournalist, Ibrahim Nasser Hussain Abu-Marsa (26), was shot in the chest with a rubber bullet. The wounded civilians were transferred via ambulances of the Ministry of Health and Union of Health Work Committees to the Indonesian and al-‚ÄėAwdah Hospitals. Medical sources classified their injuries between minor and moderate.
- Gaza City:¬†at approximately 16:30 on Friday, 30 August 2019, hundreds of civilians marched in eastern Malakah area, east of Gaza City. Speeches, theatrical performances and other segments were performed at the protest central encampment. Dozens of protestors approached the fence and threw stones with slingshots at Israeli soldiers. The soldiers fired live and rubber bullets and tear gas canisters at the protestors. As a result, 7 were injured, including 4 children and a photojournalist: 3 with live bullets, 3 with rubber bullets and 1 with a tear gas canister. The wounded paramedic, Mohammed Ismail Sa‚Äôed Abu Qadous (32) was hit with a rubber bullet to his right foot. The wounded photojournalist Ali Hassan Jadallah (29), sustained a rubber bullet to the head. Mr. Jadallah works for Anadolu News Agency.
- Central Gaza Strip:¬†at approximately 15:00, hundreds of civilians, including women, children and families, took part in the eastern Bureij refugee camp protests; tens of them gathered adjacent to the border fence at a range varying between 2 ‚Äď 70 meters. at approximately 17:10, a¬† number of protestors¬†raised the Palestinian flags, fired balloons and threw stones with slingshots at Israeli soldiers. The Israeli soldiers, reinforced with several military SUVs, fired live and rubber bullets in addition to teargas canisters at them. As a result, 10 civilians were wounded, including 2 children:7 were shot with live bullets and their shrapnel, 1 was shot with a rubber bullet and 2 were hit with tear gas canisters. before the protests were concluded at approximately 19:00, Israeli forces arrested 3 young men after crossing the border fence in eastern al-Buraij refugee camp.
- Khan Younis:¬†¬†hundreds Tens approached the border fence and attempted to throw stones, and firecrackers and raised Palestinian flags in addition to chanting national songs. Israeli forces fired live and rubber bullets and tear gas canisters at protesters, wounding 20 civilians, including 7 children: 12 received medical treatment on the spot, and 8 others, including 3 children, were transferred to hospitals. Bader Nabil Suleiman Abu-Mousa (24), from Khan Younis, was critically wounded with a live bullet to the head while present few steps from the main border fence. Abu Mousa was taken to the field medical point and then transferred to Gaza European Hospital where he stayed in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) until he was pronounced dead at approximately 11:00 on Saturday, 31 August 2019.
- Rafah: hundreds participated in the eastern Shokah protests, where folklore shows, and speeches were held. Palestinian Minitry of Health honored Izz-al-Deen Samsoum (12) for volunteering with the medical crews during last week‚Äôs protest, and photojournalist Hidra al-Sharif who captured Samsoum in action.¬†Dozens approached the border fence and threw stones at the shielded Israeli soldiers, who responded with live and rubber bullets and teargas canisters against the protestors. As a result, 27 civilians were injured, including 7 children and a PRCS paramedic. It was documented that 10 were hit with live bullets and their shrapnel, 14 were hit with rubber bullets and 3 were directly hit with tear gas canisters. The wounded paramedic was identified as:¬†Ashraf Shafiq Hussain al-Khatib (41), shot in the back with a rubber bullet.
- Excessive Use of Force against Protests in the West Bank, including occupied East Jerusalem
- At approximately 13:30 on Friday, 30 August 2019, Palestinians from Kufor Qaddoum village, northeast of Qalqiliyah launched their weekly peaceful protest and headed towards the village‚Äôs eastern entrance that has been closed by Israeli forces for the past 15 years in favor of ‚ÄúKedumim‚ÄĚ settlement. The demonstrators chanted national slogans demanding end of the occupation and protested the Israeli forces‚Äô crimes against Palestinians in the Gaza Strip. The protestors threw stones at the Israeli soldiers stationed behind sand berms while the soldiers fired sponge-tipped bullets, sound bombs and tear gas canisters at them. As a result, 3 civilians, including an international human rights defender, were injured.
- At approximately 18:00 on Wednesday, 04 September 2019, Palestinians from Zawata village square, west of Nablus launched a peaceful protest, called for by the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO). The protest headed to Eskan al-Oufuq Housing project in Ijnisinya and al-Naqura villages, northwest of the city, they protested the Israeli forces‚Äô incursions to the area and their attempt to transfer it to a military training area. The participants raised Palestinian flags and chanted national slogans. When they approached the abovementioned area, Israeli soldiers stationed in the area entrance, on roadsides and behind their military vehicles, fired tear gas canisters at the protestors. As a result, a number of protestors suffocated due tear gas inhalation.
- Shooting and other violations of the right to life and bodily integrity
- At approximately 06:50 on Thursday, 29 August 2019, Israeli gunboats stationed northwest of Beit Lahia shore in northern Gaza Strip, heavily opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats sailing within 3 nautical miles and chased them. This attack recurred at approximately 12:10 on the same day. As a result, the fishermen were forced to flee fearing for their lives; no arrests were reported.
- At approximately 10:30 on Friday, 30 August 2019, Israeli gunboats stationed northwest of Beit Lahia in northern Gaza Strip, heavily opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats sailing within 3 nautical miles and chased them. As a result, the fishermen were forced to flee fearing for their lives; no arrests were reported.
- At approximately 10:35 on Saturday, 31 August 2019, Israeli gunboats stationed northwest of Beit Lahia in northern Gaza Strip, heavily opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats sailing within 3 nautical miles and chased them. The attack recurred at approximately 18:00 on the same day. As a result, the fishermen were forced to flee fearing for their lives; no arrests were reported.
- At approximately 07:00 on Monday, 02 September 2019, Israeli gunboats stationed west of Jabalia shore in northern Gaza Strip, heavily opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats sailing within 3 nautical miles and chased them. As a result, the fishermen were forced to flee fearing for their lives; no arrests were reported.
- At approximately 11:00 on Tuesday, 03 September 2019, Israeli gunboats stationed northwest of Beit Lahia in northern Gaza Strip, heavily opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats sailing within 3 nautical miles and chased them. As a result, the fishermen were forced to flee fearing for their lives; no arrests were reported.
- Settlement Expansion and settler violence in the West Bank including occupied East Jerusalem
- Demolition and Confiscation of Civilian Property for Settlement Expansion Activities
- At approximately 19:00 on Sunday, 01 September 2019, Ma‚Äômoun Jalajel implemented the Israeli Municipality decision to¬†self-demolished and dismantled his commercial facility in al-Bostan neighborhood in Silwan village, south of occupied East Jerusalem‚Äôs Old City. Jalajel said that he forced to self-demolish his facility after the Israeli Municipality staff handed him an administrative demolition notice¬†on Sunday morning, noting that he received a summons to refer to the municipality a month ago under the pretext of non-licensing. Jalajel said that he built his facility of tin plates 2 months ago, pointing out that the municipality office ordered him to completely demolish his 30-sqaure-meter facility.
- At approximately 09:00 on Monday, 02 September 2019, Israeli forces backed by military construction vehicles and Israeli Municipality Officers moved into Khilet al-Bakar area in Eastern Hebron. The soldiers were deployed in the area while an under construction mosque (100 m¬≤) and a water well (70 m¬≥) were destroyed under the pretext of non-licensing. They also destroyed two agricultural rooms (60 m¬≤) property of Bilal Elyan al-Rajbi.
- On Wednesday, 04 September 2019, Israeli authorities issued three military orders to seize lands in Beit Jala city, Taqou‚Äôa and al-Rashida villages. According to Hasan Barijiyah,¬†Head of the Wall and Settlement¬†Resistance in Bethlehem, the first one ordered the seizure of lands, owned by Palestinians from Beit Jala and al-Khader village. He also highlighted that these orders fall under the Israeli settlement expansion schemes to overtake hundreds of dunums for construction on Bypass road (60), connecting Jerusalem to ‚ÄúGush Etzion.‚Äú He also mentioned that the second military order entailed seizure of lands in al-Rashyda village, east of Bethlehem, to expand¬†‚ÄúMa‚Äôale Amos‚ÄĚ¬†settlement; and the third one was to seize lands in Taqou‚Äôa village for the expansion of¬†‚ÄúNokdim‚ÄĚ
- Israeli Settler Violence
- On Saturday, 31 August 2019, Israeli settlers attacked Ayman Khalil Sa‚Äôd, from Artas village in southern Bethlehem, while present in his land near ‚ÄúGush Etzion‚Äú settlement, south of the city. As a result, he sustained bruises and wounds in his face; he was transferred to Bethlehem¬†Arab Society for Rehabilitation¬†Hospital. Eyewitnesses said that a group of Israeli settlers, from ‚ÄúGush Etzion‚Äú settlement, attacked and severely beat Sa‚Äôd when he prevented them from entering his land, seized by Israel and currently considered part of the settlement.
- At approximately 04:00 on Sunday, 01 September 2019, a group of Israeli settlers, from ‚ÄúKochav Hashakher‚Äú¬†settlement, attacked a vehicle belonging to Rafiq Saleem Abu ‚ÄėAliyia (33) with stones, damaging its structure. Moreover, the settlers attacked with stones other vehicles, causing fear among the vehicles‚Äô owners and passengers.
- On Tuesday, 03 September 2019, a group of Israeli settlers, under the Israeli forces‚Äô protection, leveled lands in Wadi Makhrour area, west of Beit Jala, in order to build a settlement outpost in the area. Hasan Barijiyah,¬†Head of the Wall and Settlement¬†Resistance in Bethlehem, said that a group of Israeli settlers moved into Wadi Makhrour area, where they leveled lands and surrounded them with barbed wires. In addition, the settlers set up a generator and a mobile home in the area. Barijiyah added that the settlers‚Äô attack paves the way for the Israeli authorities to seize dozens of Palestinians dunums in Beit Jalal. It should be noted that the Palestinian Ministry of Tourism¬†&¬†Antiquities issued a press release, highlighting that this attack is a violation of international law and conventions for the protection of heritage, in particular the Convention¬†concerning the¬†Protection¬†of¬†World Cultural and Natural Heritage of 1972, the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949, the Convention¬†for the¬†Protection¬†of¬†Cultural Property in¬†the Event of¬†Armed Conflict, and the 2001 UNESCO Universal Declaration¬†on¬†Cultural Diversity.
- At approximately 18:30 on Wednesday, 04 September 2019, a group of Israeli settlers, from ‚Äú¬†Yatizhar‚Äú settlement, which is established in the southern side of Madama village, south of Nablus, attacked the southern area of the village under the Israeli forces‚Äô protection. The settlers burned herbs and damaged olive trees. The Palestinians did not know the number of trees damaged because they were denied access to their lands. Meanwhile, a number of Palestinians gathered and threw stones at the Israeli settler and soldiers, who fired gas canisters at them. As a result, Basam Wajeeh Yousef Qat (16) was wounded with a tear gas canister in his mouth and then taken to Rafidia Hospital in Nablus. Moreover, many of the village‚Äôs residents suffocated due to tear gas inhalation and were treated on the spot.
More info at the official website of the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR).