In a letter to US presidential candidates Joe Biden and Donald Trump, more than 100 US organizations appealed to the potential leaders to adopt a moral and principled foreign policy regarding Palestine and Israel, the Palestinian WAFA News Agency reported.
The organizations that endorsed the letter included American Muslims for Palestine, CODEPINK, Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), If Not Now, Jewish Voice for Peace, Kairos USA, and Peace Action.
The groups called on the US leadership to adopt a foreign policy based on justice, freedom, equality, and human dignity.
The following are some of the groups’ conditions for a presidential candidate;
- oppose Israel’s occupation of the West Bank, and its unlawful blockade of the Gaza Strip;
- acknowledge Israel’s obligations toward the so-called ‘protected persons’ of the besieged Gaza Strip, as required under international law;
- apply conditions for military funding to Israel, to end the widespread Israeli violations of Palestinian human rights and adherence to the Arms Export Control Act and the Leahy Law;
- support H.R. 2407, the “Promoting Human Rights for Palestinian Children Living Under Israeli Military Occupation Act,” sponsored by Representative Betty McCollum;
- demand the government of Israel to protect Palestinian civilians from illegal Israeli settler violence;
- support Palestinian refugee rights, in line with international law and relevant UN resolutions;
- relocate the US Embassy back to Tel Aviv, as East Jerusalem is confirmed to be occupied territory;
- reject any recognition of Israeli sovereignty over occupied Palestinian territory