Listen to the audio from the MP3 Player on the right column. || Click here to Download MP3 file 5.0MB|| time: 5m47s


Palestine Today, a service of the International Middle East Media Centre for Tuesday September 19th, 2006

A woman dies at the Egyptian side of the Rafah border crossing, while two West Bank residents were killed by the Israeli army, one of them a pregnant woman. These stories and more coming up, stay tuned.

The Gaza update

Palestinian sources reported on Monday at night that a woman died at the Egyptian side of the Rafah border crossing.  The woman, Aghfra Mohammad  Al Arja, died as a result of the bad conditions stranded residents must now endure at the crossing since Israel closed it on June 25.  It has only been opened for several short periods, which enabled some residents to cross back into the Gaza Strip.

At least eight residents have died at the Rafah border crossing since August after being stranded there for several weeks due to the Israeli closure and siege imposed on the Gaza Strip after Palestinian fighters captured an Israeli soldier in a raid that targeted a military post near the Gaza borders.

Also Tuesday, several Palestinian resistance groups fired home made shells at Israeli army posts south and east of the Gaza Strip.  The Israeli army reported no injures.  The groups said that these attacks are in response to the continuous Israeli army attacks on the Palestinian people.

A group of unknown gunmen attacked and damaged the offices of the Palestinian News Agency, WAFA, in Khan Younis, in the southern part of the Gaza strip Tuesday afternoon. According to the agency, the gunmen stormed their offices in Khan Younis and ransacked their belongings. The masked men attacked and hit Amro Al Fara, who works as a journalist for the agency. Al Fara was moved to a nearby hospital for treatment.  No one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The West Bank Update
Two West Bank residents were killed by the Israeli army Tuesday morning, one of them was a pregnant woman who was delayed at an army checkpoint.
Bushra Sultan, 27, from the Sulfit region of the West Bank, died at an Israeli military checkpoint, East of Sulfit, which had been closed by Israeli soldiers Tuesday morning.

Medical teams tried to revive Sultan but all attempts failed, leading to her death due to being unnecessarily held at the checkpoint.

Israeli soldiers stationed at checkpoints located all over the West Bank delay ambulances for hours as they search Palestinian vehicles. This action often leads to the death of patients in ambulances waiting to cross checkpoints.

Elsewhere Nabil Hanini, 25, from Sanour village south of the West Bank city of Jenin was shot and killed and another four were taken prisoner by the Israeli army Tuesday morning. In the early morning hours more than 20 armored vehicles stormed the village of Sanour and surrounded the house of Mohammed Abdul Latif before showering it with live rounds.  When soldiers left the area, Hanini was found dead in the house.  Local sources said that he was originally from Beit Fourik near Nablus city.

Medical sources reported that Hanini was killed due to being hit by several live rounds in the chest and head.  Local residents reported that soldiers had arrested Hanini before killing him. Israeli troops then took Abdul Latif, the owner of the house, along with his three sons, to an unknown location.

An extremist group of Jewish settlers living in Sousia, an illegal settlement outpost, attacked and severely hit an elderly man near Yatta town, south of Hebron in the southern part of the West Bank.  Resident Khalil Mohammad Al Nawaj'a, 79, suffered concussions and bruises in several parts of his body after being severely beaten by the settlers as he was standing near his home, 1 km from the illegal settlement. Israeli undercover special army units abducted a resident of Burkeen village south west of the West Bank city of Jenin on Tuesday morning.

 The man was known as AbdAllah Atik, 30.  According to eyewitnesses, Atik was in a grocery shop were he works when the phone rang for him.  Before finishing the call, four masked men with guns appeared out of no where, and forced Atik onto the ground, then blindfolded and handcuffed him, then hurriedly took him to an unknown location.

Meanwhile Israeli forces stormed the West Bank city of Nablus and Osren village nearby, taking seven prisoners on Tuesday. Troops stormed Askar refugee camp, east of Nablus, and took Rashad Yassein, 16, and Fadi Abu Koshik, 18, to unknown locations.  Also, soldiers took Bara'a Abu Ja'afar, 21, after searching several homes in the city. South of Nablus, in Osren village, soldiers broke into dozens of homes and ransacked families' belongings before taking Amin Qdili, 20, Turki Adili, 20, Salim Azimah, 19, and Haitham Adili, 20, to unknown locations, local sources reported.

Taufik Abu Mihassen, 52, was injured during an incursion by the Israeli army into the West Bank city of Tubas on Tuesday morning. According to local residents several army vehicles entered the city and soldiers fired sound bombs and live rounds at residents’ homes, causing the injury of Abu Mihassen. Medical sources in the city reported that Abu Mihassen received a wound in the abdomen after being hit by shrapnel from a bullet. Also Tuesday morning Israeli forces invaded the village of Al Shawawra east of the West Bank city of Bethlehem and took two prisoners.  Nidal Raba'a, 20, and Ala' Salem were taken to unknown locations when troops stormed the village, searched several houses and ransacked family belongings.

Thank you for joining us from Occupied Bethlehem. You have been listening to Palestine Today from the International Middle East Media Centre, brought to you by Caysha Cay & Ghassan Bannoura.